Brian D
Brian D, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  35 Years self taught shop owner, mechanic, Dyno tuner, electrical expert
29090346

2008 electra: glide..Engine light comes..there is no throttle

Customer Question

I have a 2008 electra glide classic. Engine light comes on and then there is no throttle.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Brian D replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to just answer. When this happens, bike still idels just wont accelarate?

have you had any wirh done latly, grips, bars, air claner, etc?

once this happens does engine light stay on?

what do you have to do to get it working again after the throttle stops responding?

let me know these few things and we will try and narrow it down.

Thanks Brian D

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes engine light stays on and bike idles but wont accelarate. no work done lately. to get it working again you have to turn bike off and back on again. sometimes you have to do this a couple of times.
Expert:  Brian D replied 4 years ago.

when you turn it back on does the engine light stay on at that point?

or does it go off until you have problem again?

how often do you have this problem?

Brian D

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it goes off and it seems to be fine. it just started yesterday.
Expert:  Brian D replied 4 years ago.

Here is the procedure to pull the dtc codes from the ecm if you can do this and get the code number for me then i will see what is at fault. I did want to tell you though that we work on our local police force motorcycles and we have seen some issues with the 80-09's and Harley has replaced some parts under some non published recall so if you do not want to mess with this you may want to take it up with them and see if you can get yours fixed. here is the info to pull codes. let me know when you get them or what you decide to do. if you need more help and info just ask i will be here for you.

thanks Brian D

• Step 1

Turn the Ignition switch to the OFF position.

• Step 2

Set the Run/Stop switch to the Run position.

• Step 3

Push in the odometer reset button and hold.

• Step 4

Turn on the ignition switch and release the odometer reset button. The process has been completed correctly when the speedometer needle sweeps across the speedometer and all indicator lamps illuminate. The speedometer will also display "DIAG."

• Step 5

Press the odometer reset button once. "PSSPt" will display on the speedometer. Each letter signifies an area of the diagnostics testing, with the current selection flashing. Push the odometer reset button to scroll through the components for testing.

• Step 6

Press and hold the odometer reset button for 5 seconds, then release. Any codes stored will be displayed on the speedometer. If no codes are stored, the speedometer will display "NONE."

• Step 7

Press the odometer reset button again to view additional codes, if any.

• Step 8

Record the codes and refer to your service manual for possible faults or conditions.

• Step 9

Turn off the Ignition switch to exit the diagnostics testing.

• Read more: How to Pull Engine Codes From a Harley Davidson | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5556684_pull-engine-codes-harley-davidson.html#ixzz0sODoK9Lc

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    it reads no r 5 P
    Expert:  Brian D replied 4 years ago.
    That is not a code. did you get the psspt on the speedo like it says? if you get there press the button when the p is flashing alone, press and hold for more than 5 seconds and then it will read out the codes from the ecm. a code is going to be a letter and 4 numbers exsample B1032 would be a code. try it again and see if you can get it to work. Brian D
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    o k i got 4 codes . p0132 p1357 p1511 p2135
    Expert:  Brian D replied 4 years ago.

With the codes you are getting i hate to say this but you are going to have to take it to the dealer so they can reset everything on the computer. the p1357 code i don't even have listed the rest of then i have for you the one that is creating your problem is the p1511. i think all this will be covered under emissions warranty or the recall i told you about. wish we could fix this for you but somethings just can't be done with out the programs that can read and repair the eletronics. hope i have been a help to you, and hope you get your bike taken care of soon. Thanks for using just answer. Brian D

DTC P0132 (front) or P0152 (rear) is set when the ECM

detects an excessively rich condition for a specified length

of time. DTCs may also set if O2 sensor fails

P 2135 TPS correlation error

P1511 Power Management: This DTC provides more

limitation on drive ability, due to failure of the Throttle

Control Actuator (TCA), without a TGS, MAP or airflow

faults. The TCA is de-energized and the throttle plate

returns to its idle detent position. The ECM will monitor

the operation of the TGS and adjusts the spark advance

and cylinder shutoff/rev limiting, allowing the vehicle to

reach traffic speeds (limp-home).