Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

2003 Suzuki SV1000S FI lights on wont start how do i fix?

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 4 years ago.

I will need you get the codes from the ECM by removing the seat. Under the seat is a

four pin gray jump the black/white wire to the other wire in the connector. start the engine or crank the engine for more than 4 seconds. on the meters lower right side their should come up a two digit code. c00 for example. when you get the code or codes could you relay them to me so we can determine the malfunction part.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

explain four pin gray I dont see anything grey as far as connectors go under my front seat.

Sorry it is the six pin gray connector

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
c23 and c41 are the codes i got

"C23" Tip Over SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION

"C41" Fuel Pump RELAY CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION

do you hear the fuel pump run in the tank when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it turns on for a split second but doesnt run like it used to.

if it runs for four second when the key is turned on and shuts off until the bike is started that is normal.

so lets start with the TO Tip Over sensor.

it could be

TO sensor circuit open or short

TO sensor malfunction

ECM malfunction

1) Remove the frame cover. (#1-2)

2) Turn the ignition switch OFF.

3) Check the TO sensor coupler for loose or poor contacts. If OK, then measure the TO sensor resistance.

4) Disconnect the TO sensor coupler #23 in second image.

5) Measure the resistance between Red wire and B/Br wire terminals.

TO sensor resistance: 19.1 - 19.7 kΩ(Red - B/Br)

Is the resistance OK?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dont have A meter right now, How do I fix If thats not the problem? Do I need to Buy that part or Can I reset some how.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The red wire doesnt have power when the switch is on.

You will need a meter to be able to test the TO sensor. the FI system sensors run on 5 volts, so a test light will not work with this system and a test light can damage components if a test light is used. and some test are ohms tests. radio shack sells a volt/ohm meters at a reasonable price.

the reset for the TO sensor happens when the key is cycled off and on.

When you are ready to resume the testing of the TO sensor I will be here

Edited by Jeff Policky on 6/20/2010 at 12:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let me know how to better help you I never have been good with electrical problems. The red wire has 5.1 volts the b/br wire has .2 When the pos is on the b/br wire and the neg is on the red I get -13.62 and my meter is on 20k ohm I get no other readings on the system help!!!

Measure the resistance between the two terminals on the TO sensor it self. one lead of the meter will go on the a terminal of the sensor and the other lead will go on the other terminal of the sensor. with the meter on 20k ohs scale the resistance should be : 19.1 - 19.7 kΩ

let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The highest answer off the sensor i got was 11.06 with the neg on middle terminal and the pos on right terminal.
is this a two pin terminal or a three pin terminal sensor you are testing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its the three pin with the long plastic spike coming out the botXXXXX XXXXXke the picture said.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the only other sensor close by is a six wire sensor the third wire on the one im looking at is green and yellow.

sorry you are correct.

Measure the resistance between the two outer terminals on the TO sensor it self. one lead of the meter will go on the outer terminal of the sensor the one the red wire goes to and the other lead will go on the other outer terminal the one the black/brown wire goes to on the sensor. the center terminal is not used on this test. with the meter on 20k ohs scale the resistance should be : 19.1 - 19.7 kΩ

let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im getting 9.26 at 20k ohms

That Is to low

Your are testing it when it is still mounted on the bike?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I wasnt. what do you mean still mounted on the bike the rubber holder? and its unplugged right?

No it dose not have to be in the bike.

I am sorry my mind keeps going to the two pin Yamaha TO system.

The sensor is out of spec and a new one is needed. as the specs need to be 19.1 - 19.7 kΩand your TO sensor is showing 9.26 ohms

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks ill try it let you know.
Thank you let me know what happens
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That did not fix it I just received the new part and it is pulling the same ohms as the old one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I also say a spark come from the fuel pump and go to the flat plat where the pump mounts. I took the pump out of the tank and hooked it up the most it ran as i cut the switch on and off was a split second. How else can i test the pump to see if its bad?

sorry about that is what the manual shows as the proper resistance value for the TO sensor.

test the voltage to and from the TO sensor

1) Connect the TO sensor coupler to the sensor.

2) Insert the needle pointed probes or back probs to the lead wire coupler between Brown/White and Black/Brown wires..

3) Turn the ignition switch ON.

4)Measure the voltage at the wire side coupler between Brown/White and Black/Brown wires.

let me know what you find

the pump would not consistently run for about four seconds every time when the off/ run switch was cycled

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

with the pos on the b/br and neg on brown /white i get -12.03 with the switch on.

With the neg on b/br and the pos on br/w i get 3.24 with switch off and thats the only readings i get.

There is a differant sensor that makes a loud click when I cycle the switch it has six wires going to it ive also replaced that sensor and dont know where to go from here.

the fuel pump would not consistently run for about four seconds every time the off/ run switch was cycled

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know but my bike use to humm constantly fuel pump or not and now it doesnt i dont know if it was the fuel pump or something else but i dont know what to do.

The fuel pump could be bad but it will not cause a FI light or code to come on. the fuel pump is designed to run for about 4 seconds then go off until the bike is started. the pump will run constantly

we are going to complete the test to find the problem. the readings that were obtained from the last test were ok.

will the starter motor crank over the engine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it turns the motor fine.

Do you have spark at the spark plugs?

I was wrong the readings were off lets try it again

1) Insert the needle pointed probes or back probs to the lead wire coupler between with the pos on the Brown/White and neg on Black/Brown wires..

3) Turn the ignition switch ON.

4)Measure the voltage at the wire side coupler

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It doesnt read anything with the switch on and all the sensors are brand new. the way things are going its either the pump or something to do with the injectors but i dont know what im doing.

The fuel pump will not throw a code but you do have a code for the fuel pump relay and Tip Over Sensor. So I think this is a wiring on relay problem.

This may take some time to find, I am want to help you find the problem. If you are getting frustrated with trying to find the problem due to you are not feeling like you are able to find it with my help I understand. if you feel more comfortable with taking it to your local shop to have someone fix it I can understand that.

Let me know what you want to do. I am here to help

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am a mechanic at heart so lets do this.

Ok I would like to do the TO voltage test again. you will need to back probe the wires with a paper clip will work

1) Insert the paper clip probes or back probs to the wire leads on the back of the connector. with the pos lead of the meter on the Brown/White and neg lead on Black/Brown wires..

2) Turn the ignition switch ON.

you should only get 1.4 Volts DC or less

let me know if you need more clarification on this I will be happy to do so

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4.06 dcv
is that mounted in the bike were and how it should be if it is not in the upright position? it will cause a no start condition if it is not in correctly. if it is in correctly and roll it from side to side and see if the voltage goes below 1.4 VDC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So sorry top waste your time when I put the bike back together that sensor got shoved in the side fairing I just now found where its supposed to be and put it there the fi light went away but i have to jump it because the battery is too low.

Thanks for helping me realize im a da you helped alot.

Not a problem it is not a waste of time for me as I am here to help. I just glad the bike is running so you can enjoy it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well it went away for a min. now the botXXXXX XXXXXght on the meter is alternating fi and coolant temp. I dont know where to go from here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well it went away for a min. now the botXXXXX XXXXXght on the meter is alternating fi and coolant temp. I dont know where to go from here. I pulled the code again and it is just the c41 code.

we need to test the fuel relay

I will be back

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you get back which one is the fuel pump relay

it is behind the battery and ECM on the right side

Does the fuel pump and bike run?

if the fuel pump runs all the time when the bike has not been started that could be the reason for the FI Light

Edited by Jeff Policky on 6/24/2010 at 6:10 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the fuel pump doesnt do anything the bike turns over just fine. but the sensor on the far right side makes that loud click everytime the switch is cycled on and off. it has to be something before the sensor to make it do that click right?

check the fuel pump relay #23 for corrosion, melted and loose connections.

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its brand new.

The connector is for the relay is good?

Yellow /Black and Yellow/Red wires for ground,when key is turned on the red lead on the volt meter is on battery positive. the black lead is to one of the wires being tested and then the other wire

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the connector is good
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
doing that the yellow black wire has 12.55 and the yellow red fluctuates between 6.72 and 11.77
on the fuel pump the Yellow/red wire attach the red meter lead to it and to the black/white wire attach the black meter lead you should have consistent battery voltage for 4 second when the ignition key is turned on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with the connector off i get that, but im sure i get the connectors in good but only get .02 for four sec. the first way i get 12.34 does that mean bad connection or what i measured them the same way ive measured everything else but might be my needles not penetrating but if thats the case i wouldnt get .02 for four seconds you tell me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My bad i just retested and im getting constant 11.82 dcv on the fuel pump side longer than 4 seconds for sure.

ok that is good, is that with the fuel pump connected or disconnected?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
connected

with the fuel pump connector connected the fuel pump is still not running?

If yes i think you are correct as you have power to the pump and yet it still will not turn on. the can be verified by disconnecting the connector from the pump. and using a jumper wires hook a positive lead to the yellow /red wirer and ground lead to the black/white wire the pump should run.

let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It runs but still wont start.

If the pump runs but the bike will not start.

if that is correct. The fuel pump pressure will need to be tested as it needs 42 PSI. this will take a fuel pressure tester with correct adapter

Also is their spark at the spark plugs?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would no spark through the FI light.

I do not Understand "Would no spark through the FI light."

Please explain more. Thank You

Edited by Jeff Policky on 6/25/2010 at 7:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No spark at the plugs. something wrong with the spark plugs wouldnt through the c41 code or the fi light

Bad spark plug will not cause a FI code or light.

"C41" Fuel Pump RELAY CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION that is all that code is for the fuel pump wiring.

Did you recheck for codes?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the only code on the dash now is c41. ive checked the wiring the connectors and everything in between. I just finished putting it together today and need to fix this problem.

I understand you wanting to get it fixed I want the same for you.

with the ignition key on check for battery voltage on the orange/white and the black/orange wires to the ignition coils. the black lead of the meter will go to ground and red lead will go to one of the two wires. give me a reading for both wires when you get them.

Edited by Jeff Policky on 6/26/2010 at 12:30 AM EST