Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

2000 suzuki: engaging..actuator..pin that goes thru the gearbox slid

Customer Question

i need help getting my clutch to work on my 2000 suzuki gsxr 600..bought the bike and the clutch wasnt engaging..found out that they had installed the wrong sprocket/clutch actuator cover on the bike...the pin that goes thru the gearbox slid out of the left side of the motor..i ordered the correct cover now want to get it put together right...can someone give me simple directions on assembling it right and getting clutch to work again?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

hello

as of right now is the pin in place in through the motor, and the actuator bolted on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no im not sure how to put the pin back in..i try to put it in thru the left side but it only goes in a lil ways and stops...the cover and actuator will be here tommorow...i want to get it to the point all i have to do is bolt on the cover...
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
there are two rods that go through the motor. one pushes on the other as you can see in this diagram http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-suzuki-motorcycle-gsxr600y-clutch-model-x-y/o/m6219sch238512 how far approx does the rod you have go into the motor? how much sticks out? are you using a rod that has worked in this motor?

Edited by eric on 6/3/2010 at 3:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the rod that came out of the sprocket side goes in bout an inch and a half maybe.how do i install it so all i have to do is put the rod into actuator assembly and bolt on the cover?do i have to take the clutch apart or something to get it installed?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
typically this rod should slide in all the way to where it sticks out only a little and the actuator would bolt right up. but the second rod may be whats hanging the process up. if you were able to take a look at that diagram there is item number 24. that is where the rod furthest in, is supposed to fit into. this most likely slipped out of that part and is not going back in, thus not letting you put that next rod in all the way. so if you cannot tap it in to where it finally seats into place, then you will need to take the outer part of the clutch off to fit these rods into correct place. with the clutch cover off. there are a few screws and a snap ring that get taken off of the clutch pressure plate. that will allow you access to that part number 24. get the rod so it seats into this part, and then reassemble the clutch. and check that these rods all fit properly in their place.