Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220 and I am struggling to adjust

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220 and I am struggling to adjust the carburetor on it properly. When I let go of the throttle it will backfire. It also will not run smoothly when I hold the throttle down about mid way. It sputters. However I did get it to idle smoothly, I am just struggling with these other details. I am fairly certain its a carb problem but Im not positive. Can you tell me what to do and whats going wrong?? Thanks

Peter
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Hi Peter my name is Kenny

I'm going to start out right up front that they had a lot of problems with this carb, Mikuni some what admitted they were messed up, the carb on this unit went through about three part number changes.

We can maybe get it a little better but I'm not going to guarantee anything short of replacing it, but lets give it a try first !

OK first you need to make sure that the valves are adjusted to the looser end of the spec and I give you that, I will give you those in inches. Below is what factory calls out, I would run that intake at .004 and the exhaust at .005. All Kawasaki's like running at the looser end of the spec, plus you get a more truer cam timing. So you really need to make sure that those are set at those specs, it will make a BIG difference how this unit runs.

Intake ~ .004 in

Exhaust ~ .005 in

Now in your best guess would you say its running "rich" or "lean" does it require a lot of choke when starting and or how is the spark plug looking, color ?

By chance have you done a compression check on this unit ?

Get back to me and we'll go from here !

Thanks Peter

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't run a compression check on it. Ummm I was talking to a guy that lives near me about it and we decided together that it is probably running too lean and thats what is giving me this backfireing. I just replaced the spark plug and the old one was not that bad actually. Can you run me through how to set up the different adjustments that you gave me for the intake and exhaust. I'm really a rookie on carbs and so I just learned how they work and I'm not sure how to adjust them PROPERLY.. Thanks Kenny<br /><br />Peter<br /><br />P.S. I orginally had it backfiring through the carburetor while it was idling but I took care of that by raising that tapered pin in the throttle assembly and now it idles great.  I have no idea of how to adjust the intake and exhaust settings. 
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Piece of cake Peter !

I'll make it easy, I'll post up that page, hey if you can get it on TDC without removing the recoil then you won't need to get a gasket, just make sure you're on TDC compression.

Plus I just noticed the manual is screwed up, I thought the specs I gave you seemed a little on the tight side, use the ones on this page, so basically you will be setting the intake at .008 in and the exhaust at .009 !!!!! DO NOT USE THE SPECS I GAVE YOU FIRST !!!!!!! Use these I mentioned here.

Check your valves and then let me know and I'll direct you on the carb.

If you have any questions Peter, just reply back.

Thanks

Kenny graphic

Edited by Kenny O on 5/21/2010 at 3:37 AM EST
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.
OH right click on the picture and save it to your desktop, you can view it better, the way these load on JA is goofy !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I will try these things this afternoon. I'll let you know what happens later on in the day. Thanks

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Let me know if you have any question, I going to be away from about 3-8 pm Pacific time, so if I don't get right back to you, you'll know why

Thanks Peter

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 5/21/2010 at 3:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Kenny, I made sure those things were adjusted right. I think they are. So what do I do next?? Thanks Kenny, Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK Peter

So when you checked them where were they at, were they loose or tight ?

So lets deal with the carb now, you said that your raised the tapered needle, we usually refer to those as the needle, can you explained how you did that since there is only one clip on that.

Also where is the pilot screw set ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok when I opened it up it seemed to be just right... So maybe I didn't do something right. I adjusted the needle upwards by moving the e-clip down to the last notch. It idles great now but that's all I did. Thanks

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Peter how many clip positions are on that needle ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On this one there are about five different slots.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.
OK that is an EPA carb on that unit, it should have one position, do you have any reason to believe that someone changed that, are you the original owner ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I'm the second owner. I don't think anyone has changed it but I can try to get a hold of the mechanic that originally worked on it before me if you want.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.
Peter did you have to adjust the valves or were they OK, I want to know of you actually loosened the nuts and adjusted ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I didn't do anything. I measured it and it seemed just fine so I just put the cover back on.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK I'm going to post up the breakdown of the carb on your unit, I made some notes on it, you need to verify the jet sizes and also I want to know if there are plastic washers on both sides of the needle ?

Also when you get back wit h the carb info, do you have an inductive pickup timing light ? (for checking timing ?

Right click on the small picture and save it to your desk top, you can view it easier then viewing it through JA

Kenny

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have an inductive pickup timing light. Sorry. Do I need it cause I can probably get one of I do. Thanks for your time so far. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is one washer below the e-clip but not one above it. My carb is just a little different there. Instead of having a washer up there it has a small circular metallic piece that expands like a spring and stays in there and hold the needle down. Along with the actual spring that goes over top it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On the screw that you asked me how many turns it was out, I played with it a bit to try to adjust it cause I didn't know how many turns it needed to be out. Isn't it like 1 1/2 turns out it needs to be?? Just get back to me and tomorrow I will find those numbers on the carb for you tomorrow. Thanks

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Well I'm trying to determine if someone has switched the carb or changed things around.

The timing light I want to use as a spark tester, basically look at the light to see if it breaks up.

Will get back to this tomorrow, Thanks Peter

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright so I checked those things and heres what I found. The number on the 92064/A jet is 30. The number of turns out on the 16014/A screw was 1 1/2. The jet number for 92063/A-L is 115. And only the bottom washer is on the needle not the one above. I hope these numbers are right. Tell me if they are completely wrong and I'll check again. Thanks Kenny

Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey I thought of one more thing also. To my knowledge this carb has never been cleaned and rebuilt so I'm thinking about buying a kit and rebuilding it. Should I do this or not?? Also check this site out.  It shows exactly the parts I was telling you about.  And the multiple slots on the needle.  <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-02-Kawasaki-KLF220A-220-Bayou-Carb-Carburetor-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5191011684QQitemZ350325118596QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-02-Kawasaki-KLF220A-220-Bayou-Carb-Carburetor-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5191011684QQitemZ350325118596QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories</a><br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Morning Peter

OK I'm going to go over a little carb fundamentals, I'll also post up some pictures that you can reference to.

First let me start off and say that setting up the carb the right way is critical, it is a precise part that is delicate and ultimately in the end will dictate how you machine performs.

I have seen so many times after someone has worked on a carb where they left out parts or damaged a part and put things together wrong....the list goes on.

So you need to start and look at the diagram and make sure that all the parts you see on that sheet are there in your carb, remember it was designed to have all those parts installed.

The pilot screw on this carb is "fuel metering" the base setting for a # XXXXX jet is a turn and a half (1 1/2) now since its fuel metering the more you tun it out the more fuel is added at low speed/idle. (mainly idle) as some as you start to give it throttle its off that circuit.

The starter plunger, you can unscrew the brass nut out of the carb body and then slide the plunger out, if you look on the underneath surface you'll see a black rubber seal, make sure that it sealing when its inserted in the carb body, you should see an imprint on the rubber where it was sealing on the carb body, and make sure that you have free play in your starter (choke) cable.

Now when you unscrewed the top cap off to remove the cable/slide out of the carb body I want you to grab the slide with two fingers and then with your other hand see if you can move that needle up and down, remember you told me that was a washer missing, so I will assume that you should have up and down play in that needle, YOU Shouldn't HAVE ANY PLAY THERE ! if you do then that means the needle is bouncing around and not metering your fuel correctly.

Last you need to check your float height that is really critical and needs to set to that spec.

I'm going to let you look at this if you have any questions rely back, I'll be in and out today.

Thanks Peter

Kenny O

graphicgraphic

Edited by Kenny O on 5/22/2010 at 4:17 PM EST
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

The problem with those "aftermarket" is the quality control, you never know what you are getting. Basically your carb should look like the picture I posted, if not then I think that someone was in the carb ?

For $18 you can try it, like i said the needle in your carb from the factory is non adjustable so I'm thinking someone changed something ?

Most of those things in that first kit you showed me don't go bad, its usually just orings and gaskets, so if the seals are good then you really don't need all that stuff, plus I would rather have Mikuni parts in my carb then some aftermarket company.

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 5/22/2010 at 4:26 PM EST
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

As long ans the needle is tight with that spring and you have one of those plastic washers on the bottom of the clip you might try it, so set this carb up the best you can then run the unit and tell me what its doing them. Remember I asked about the timing light, maybe we have an ignition problem, just remember we are crawling right now before start walking.

Sometimes you have to go through the process of elimination before we can get to the problem, that is why I wanted you to check the valves, now we need to make sure the carb is put together right and if this doesn't work we'll check the ignition.

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 5/22/2010 at 4:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok sounds good. I'll probably get back to you later on tonight. I have work this afternoon so I won't get to it until later this evening. Thanks for your help so far.

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK Peter, talk you later

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright so I did what you said to do and I'm having some trouble. When I'm adjusting the float do I measure it with the carb upside down and from the bottom of the reservoir or from the mid section where the bottom of it contacts to it?? I did adjust it roughly to where it needs to be but I measured from the mid section (where the bottom piece attaches) of the carb to the float. Now it won't start for me. I must have done something wrong so can you tell me what?? thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Yes you turn the carb upside down where the float is resting lightly on the needle, (don't apply any pressure to it) then you measure from the body (where the float bowl meets the body) to the bottom of the float just like the picture, it should be real close from what it was unless something got dropped, usually they are not off but since you have this apart then I wanted you to check it.

When you had the carb on your machine, did you try draining the float bowl to make sure you had gas in it when you were trying to start it ?

When you say no start, if it has spark and fuel in the float bowl ???

So as we know you must have compression, fuel and timed ignition for one of these things to run, did you ever do a compression test on this engine ?

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 5/23/2010 at 1:00 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I never did a compression test on it. When I originally had it, it would leak gas out of the overflow tube in it. Now when I put it back together it leaked out again and pretty fast. So I went in again and adjusted the float like you said and it stopped however now it won't start. I can make sure there is fuel in the bowl and a spark. How do you measure to get that exact measurement for the float?? What tool reads that specifically??
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Hey Peter 22.6mm == 7/8 of an inch, if you have a small ruler just hold up next to the float from the carb body, maybe tape measure, there is a plus or minus of 2mm, but if you check it and its at 7/8 of an inch you're fine.

We use a set of veneer calipers when we set float heights

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 5/23/2010 at 1:15 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok ya I'll try again and make sure. Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.
Peter what is your zip code ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My zip code is 50214. I got it running!!! However it is still acting up. I got it going and took it for a ride and went up to the top of 5th and pretty quickly it will start bogging and backfiring so I have to let up on the throttle and then push it again and it will go but still rough. I don't know why. Whats next?? I'm pretty sure all the parts are in the carb and I adjusted it right. Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

OK Peter

Now if you can ride it a little and pull the spark plug and lets try to get a plug reading !

When you say backfiring and bogging ? backfiring is usually an electrical problem, so right now does it start and Idle good ?

I guess if you can try to stay on the throttle when its running rough so you can pull the plug and get a look at it, if you have a digital camera you can snap a picture and post it up so I can look at it ?

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now ahhhh I'm gonna pull the spark plug wire off WHILE ITS RUNNING?? Yes it idles great!!! :) one pull and its goin. I do have a digital camera. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not quite getting this. You want me to pull the spark plug wire off and look at the spark plug while its running or what?? Sorry this is hard for me over the internet trying to explain things. Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

NO

Ride the unit a little so you can get some color on the spark plug, then stop the unit and pull the plug so we can get an idea how its burning

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 5/23/2010 at 2:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright here it is. Sorry its not very good pic. If you need better I might be able to try again. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry that didn't work I'll try something else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright there I think I figured it out.. Tell me what you think.. Thanks Kenny

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

I can't really see, where you want to look is down in the plug, around the porcelain, from here it looks lean, I was looking and you have a Harbor Freight Tools in Des Moines, they have a $5 in line spark tester and also saw a compression gauge (pretty nice one in a box) for $25, the number on that was # XXXXX

So I'm thinking and hoping your carb is OK, it starts and idles good, as you say, so now what is it running out of fuel or the ignition is going away ?

Harbor Freight has some low cost tools that aren't that bad for home use, if you were to use a lot of there stuff everyday it wouldn't last, I checked its about 30 miles from your zip.

Maybe in some better light get a picture of the inside of the plug, but it looks a little lean, is your needle still raised all the way up ? (clip on the bottom groove)

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was thinking about it more and I don't think it would be the spark or ignition. When it's at top throttle for a while then it will stop accelerating. So basically it won't backfire but sound like it doesn't have any gas and just stop maintaning speed. Then ill let go of the throttle and play with it and it will then try to get on it's feet again but sputter and backfire. So what do you think??
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

I'm hearing what you're saying Peter it does sound like its starving for fuel, so your telling me that you think its fuel related,(that is good thinking) that is what you need to do, because your doing the seat of the pants.

I'm a few thousand miles away, so if you think that its running out of fuel then generally this can be caused by a couple of things, float level to low, or its a fuel delivery problem, then is there something wrong with the pet-cock, hose pinched, the vent on the fuel tank is blocked ? You checked the carb and you feel that's good, might look at the tank and the things I mentioned, you see what us technicians go through, we are still going through this process of eliminations, its not that cut and dry as we always wish.

Also I want to throw this at you (because I see your thinking which is Great) What about a broken baffle in the exhaust, when the pressure increases in the exhaust it tries to push the piece up against the exit and is blocking the exhaust ?

Tap on the pipe to see if you hear anything loose ?

I'm thinking if you can run the unit where it starts to miss then bring a plug wrench with you, kill the ignition when it starts missing and pull the plug and see what you got ?

We'll keep going here !

Thanks Peter, let me know

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Im goin to get to it tonight. I'll try to find out what it is. I just want to tell you that I did just replace the plug in it and I just replaced the muffler. Nothing sounds loose in the exhaust and I just took the fuel supply line apart to see if the carb wasn't getting fuel. Earlier last year I had gotten a few seeds in the supply line and it shut off the fuel supply so I fixed that and even checked that again recently, blew it all out, and changed the fuel filter. So I'm pretty sure that it is getting fuel to the carb. Ya I know what you mean about process of elimination. Ive worked on cars a bit and Ive had to go through the exact same things. Well I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks

Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright Kenny. I have narrowed it down to having to be a fuel problem. I got it a little better too. Here it is. I took apart the carb again and raised the float slightly. Then I took it on a 3 mile ride down our gravel road and back. I traveled the first mile and a half with it at about mid of 5th gear and it ran GREAT!!! On the second mile and a half I ran it at full out 5th gear. It started to do its thing again at about the 3/4 of a mile mark. So I took it back and raised the float a little more. I took it on the exact same ride again and it did great the first mile and a half and then started stalling again at the exact 3/4 mark. However it pulled itself together without me letting go of the throttle and kept going but still sputtered again here and there. So I let it idle a little at the end of the road and started one more about 1/2 a mile and it ran GREAT at the top of 5th. I'm pretty darn sure it has to be a fuel problem. Tell me what you think I can do to get it running well. Thanks,

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

I think you're right, it sure sounds like fuel, now southing you might try is, and I mentioned it earlier about the vent being blocked, maybe try cracking the cap or put a longer hose on the (cap) vent and when it starts to act up, blow in the vent and try forcing in more air, also think about if you could rig up an external fuel tank and gravity feed the carb so you'll be by-passing the fuel tank along with the pet-cock ?

Those are my thoughts

Thanks Peter for keeping up to date

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Kenny. I tried what you said and it seemed to help.. So I was driving it a while to make sure it was running good and I was at the top of 5th when all the sudden I heard a BIG pop and the engine stopped running and consequentially the wheels locked up so I got it back to neutral and stopped it and got off and looked at it. On the engine the ground wires were smoking and so I took off the seat to look at the batt. and wiring and the syliniod was SMOKING BAD. This syliniod was having trouble so the electric start no longer worked. So I took it apart to see if I could fix it and I found out I couldn't. So I tried to put it back together and the bottom part of it wouldn't stay on. So I just left the bottom part off and just electrical taped it all up. So now my pull start is locked up and won't work at all either. Would you tell me what you think happened to my engine? Thanks

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Do you have oil in the engine ? check the level, it sounds like something locked up in the engine, also you obviously have an electrical short. Sounds like you have some checking to do. pull the recoil off and see if you can turn over by hand, maybe something is wrong in the recoil ?

Kenny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has oil still and the level is just fine. I'll do some checking.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.
OK Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did all those things and its still stuck... I pulled the engine out and now I can pull it apart and take a look at what might have gone wrong in it. I'll let you know what I find. Do you have anymore suggestions?? Thanks

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Peter I think we need to close this question out, I think that I answered or we figured out your running problem with the carb issue, and now you are on to something else, or this unit has another problem.

Now you are going to be into an engine rebuild, I think you'll agree that we fixed the running issue but unfortunately your engine gave up now.

Give me your thought ?

Thanks

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 5/26/2010 at 4:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your right I think. Thanks for all your help.

Peter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.

Thats fine we'll close this one out, do you have a service manual ? for this unit ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I don't.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 years ago.