Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

just to test to see if my ltf 300 king quads cdi box (denso

just to test to see if my ltf 300 king quad's cdi box (denso 32900-19b40) is toast, can plug it into my dads artic cat 250 cdi harness (32900-19b50) and see if it will just throw a spark?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 4 years ago.
Don't try fitting it to a different loom unless you don't mind blowing it, if all the connections are the same & the wire colours are the same then it may work but it may blow

There is no easy check for the CDI unit so it has to be done by a process of elimination

1st try checking the resistance of the pick-up (pulsar) coil (around 150-300 ohms will do)
Then check for continuity between the pick-up (pulsar) coil & the CDI unit & no continuity to earth
Then check for continuity between CDI & ignition coils
If all OK but still no spark, unfortunately you have to suspect the CDI unit itself, which is a very expensive item, they can be repaired by some specialist electronic firms :-)
carmo.nl or electrexworld.co.uk or westcountrywindings.co.uk are reputable firms who may have replacements in stock

Ride safe
Bike-Doc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i already checked the wire from the cdi to the coil and when connected to the cdi i get 0 ohms to ground when i disconnect the harness from the cdi (the blue blue white) it is not shorted to ground. i'm guessing the pick up pulsar comes out of the marneeto area (4 wires) would you happen to know the colors for the pulsar
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi
The pulsar coil wires come from the other end of the crank
The CDI wire will be earthed the connection is cut to induce a spark
On which side of the connector is it shorted to earth? If it is the loom side then suspect either the kill switch (most likely) or Ignition switch, crushed / burnt wiring or shorting to earth
Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Its 3 in the morning here & I am retiring for the night

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic