mcatlin
mcatlin, Technician
Experience:  21 yrs in industry 10 yrs tech for honda 9 suzuki 5 kaw 4 yam

I have a yamaha r1 that wont start. I turn the key and the

Customer Question

I have a yamaha r1 that wont start. I turn the key and the engine light comes on for 1.4 seconds then I try to start it, the speedo lights flicker and starter relay clicks away , but wont enggage the starter motor. I some times get an eror code 1 on the speedo but not all the time. I have a grey rubber conection that i think a sensor goes onto, that sits onto the air scoop that is missing. What sensor do i need for this and will it help start my bike?
Its a yamaha 04 r1
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
I feel you have two different issues one being your battery,the other being the missing component.I am going to send you a component location diagram to have you point out what you think is missing.I feel your battery needs to be tested,If you have a volt meter I would like you to do the following test.With the meter set to 20 volts hook up to the battery and check key on voltage,you should have at least 12.5 volts then with meter still hooked up push the start button and see what the voltage reading is then you should have at least 11 volts.Let me know about the battery and the diagram. Mikegraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have every thing except a headlight dimer relay, theres suppose to be two am I right?

I think that the wire with the grey flexible fitting might be for one of the head lights, I get a reading with the multi reader as soon as the key is turned on. When i go to start the bike the relay clicks away fast, and the speedo gages go blank for a second or two. I have 12.96 volts in the batery befor i tun the key on, turn the key it goes down to 11.0, then i try to start it and the relay clicks away and it goes down to 7-6 volts .

But even when i use a jump start pack and the battery stays above 10 volts when i try to start it still does the same thing.

Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
There are two of those relays that are suppose to sit on top of the head light unit.It sounds like your battery has a short inside the casing,to allow it to go from 12.96 down to 6 or 7 volts.But before we go down that road,I would like you to put 12 volts directly to the starter cable at the solonoid to see if the starter will turn over with the solonoid out of the equation,or if the starter is bad and drawing all the current.Let me know. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok where is the starter cable, is it M or B cable on the solonoid? which one do i hook + and - to?
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
There will be one cable that goes to the battery pos post,you want the other one.You will want to attach the pos cable from the jump box to this cable and the neg cable to batt neg.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I can hear a noise, but it doesn't seem to turn the motor over
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a humming noise, but does not engage and turn the motor over, was it suppose too
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
You said that this was wrecked,if it laid on its side for awhile there could be oil in the cylinders or fuel causing a hydro lock.Have you tried turning the engine over without spark plugs in.You can also remove the right cover over the end of the crankshaft and put a wrench on the bolt and try to turn engine by hand.You need to make sure the cylinders are not full of liquid and that the engine will even turn over.The starter is not easy to get at on this engine,so you might want to try turning by hand after you make sure there isn't a hydro lock. Let me know. Mike The starter humming and not engaging has to do with the first part of this post.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine is not locked, I can put it into 6 gear and pull the rear wheel, no probs there it seems to move the engine ok, any thing else.....
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.

You can check the connection at the starter motor to make sure the cable is tight,but I don't think that will be the case.You are going to have to remove the starter to see if it will spin out of the engine,if it does spin out of the engine then you have a problem with the starter clutch system.The starter clutch components are inside the engine and will require disassembly to repair.Let me know. Mike

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can you check if the starter clutch is faulty, Would there be a code on the speedo cluster?
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
The starter binding or a bad one way bearing in the starter clutch will not trip a code on the dash,It will just stop working.You are going to have to remove the starter and check to see if it will engage out of the engine.Let me know what you want to do. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks heeps for the help, I will try this soon, I work away , but when i get home I will give it a Try. I will accept your answer, but will be in contact with you again soon, cheers
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
Take your time,let me know how you make out and we can go from there. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just one quick question, will it roll start if i tried?
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
You should be able to bump start the bike,hopefully the ignition system is in good shape you still don't know if the bike has spark.It is worth a try,give it a whirl. Let me know how you make out. Mike
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.

If you think that I have helped you on your original question,then please hit the accept button.

Thank you, Mike

mcatlin, Technician
Experience: 21 yrs in industry 10 yrs tech for honda 9 suzuki 5 kaw 4 yam
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I need your help again, I have pulled the starter motor out and put 12 volts to it. It does spin ok, But it seems to be tight, Is it suppose to spin with ease or is it suppose to be a little tight? If this is ok will the problem be the starter clutch? And how do i pull that apart? Do i have to drain the oil too?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i had the starter motor out and tried turning it by hitting the start switch it would slightly turn and the solinoid would click at the same time. Then i earthed the starter motor and left the possitive on the battery , hit the switch and the starter motor turned with out clicking this time. so i figured the starter motor to be ok, even though it was hard to turn the starter motor shaft by hand. Tommorow i will pull the starter clutch out and take a look. any info you can pass on will help, hope to hear soon. i'll check the eart to the motor aswell
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
The starter motor will not turn easily out of the engine,the magnets are very strong and will make it hard to turn by hand.Without the starter motor having a good ground it will not spin properly and your starter solonoid will just click..I'll help you any way i can,just let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put the starter back into the bike a tried again, it wont turn the motor over. The plugs are out and can turn the motor by spinning the weel in gear. So do you think it with be the starter clutch thats the problem?
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
I am going to stick with what I said in an earlier post,i believe the one way bearing or another component in the starter clutch has failed.Should not be a tough fix,but will be pricey.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a workshop manual so will give it a go my self. Will let you know how I go. Will the bearing be pricey? Cheers
Expert:  mcatlin replied 4 years ago.
The bearing will be pricey,but both pieces the bearing rides on will more than likely need replacing also,let me know how you make out. Mike