Glenn Adams II
Glenn Adams II, Motorcycle/ATV Technician
Experience:  6 years Motorcycle/ATV/Water Craft; 4 years auto; 18 years carpenter
8552530

My 1981 Honda CB650 wont stay charged ,tried a new battery

My 1981 Honda CB650 won't stay charged ,tried a new battery ,no help .Is there a way to see if my Regulator Rectifier is good
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Glenn Adams II replied 6 years ago.

There is not a way to test the regulator rectifier other than swapping.

How do you know for sure that the battery is not being charged? How many miles do you get on a fully charged battery before the start is weak?

Please try this test and tell me what you get: While the bike is idling check the voltage at the battery terminals. should be about 13 volts. Then rev it up to about 2500 rpm and check to see that you have 13.8 to 14.2 volts. If you have around 14 volts then it's not your charging system at fault. Your Starter must be.

( "after charging the battery all night it runs for about 50 miles and by the end of the night push starting is the only way it starts" )

The information above was pulled from your reply on a new opened question. I have requested that your other question be closed. Please direct all future replies to this window.

My reply to your above reply: Does the starter try to crank over after the 50 miles or does the bike just die while riding. Please be thorough in your answers so I can be most efficient.

Please follow these steps with your meter. Please try this test and tell me what you get: While the bike is idling check the voltage at the battery terminals. should be about 13 volts. Then rev it up to about 2500 rpm and check to see that you have 13.8 to 14.2 volts. If you have around 14 volts then it's not your charging system at fault. Your Starter must be.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After battery is fully charged I get about 50 miles on it before it gets too weak to start the bike .Your last line says (Your starter must be) do you mean stator or my starter must be what

If the check I presented tests good then your starter will be the problem. Meaning the starter is to hot internally to start the bike an dragging while trying to turn over.

Have you done the test?