yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  service technician on yamaha suzuki polaris products since early 70's. currently own and manage deal

Help...I have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 400HO and the battery

Help...I have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 400HO and the battery went dead over the winter. The manual says that there is a charging harness in the front storage box, I found that, but do I need a special adapter to charge the battery through it? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
most of the small motorcycle size battery tenders on the market have this same type matching connector on them. battery tender usually comes with the same wiring part that polaris factory installs so you wont need to use that half. but what we do when a battery like this is pure dead is ZAP it with a car size large battery charger set to 15 amp area and put it on for 20 minutes to half and hour. sometimes we'll let the battery set then for a few hours and then do it again. that should bring it back to life. the battery tender is for just as it name says, tending the battery over long periods of not being used, NOT for bringing it back to life. to use a large capacity charger we just use a regular piece of heavy wire, stick it into the female part of this plug that polaris has in their harness and then make sure the battery charger clamps dont touch or rub on frame. wrapping them with a rag helps. make sure polarity is correct or you'll have MAJOR problems. Mark
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Would a SAE Connector be better to use than a heavy wire?

if you have access to a matching size male and female connector end that you can crimp onto a heavy gauge wire. but if you dont have access to these materials and are working out in a garage or shed make do the best of what is easy access to connect without having to remove the battery. I've had these batteries in and out countless times, its a knuckle scraper at best. Mark