TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.

How do you change the coolant in a 96 Honda shadow VT1100c

How do you change the coolant in a 96 Honda shadow VT1100c?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

To drain the overflow tank remove the small hose that attaches to the bottom right side of the tank and hold the bike upright so that all of it can drain.

If this answer was helpful please click accept and leave positive feedback. I do not get paid until you click accept.

TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After you drain the overflow tank and the radator. How do you refull the system?

Expert:  TIMOTO replied 4 years ago.
Remove the radiator cap under the cover on the right side of the frame just forward of the fuel tank. Slowly fill the system with coolant to the top. Fill the overflow tank to the upper level. The filler neck is under the left frame cover. Leave the radiator cap off and start the engine. Air will bubble out of the neck so keep topping it off. Wiggling the hoses and leaning the bike from left to right will help get the air pockets out. Reinstall the radiator cap and allow the engine to idle until the cooling fan comes on. Shut the engine off and allow it to cool completely. If you are in a hurry you can cool it down with water from a garden hose. Check that the overflow tank level is between the top and bottom marks and add coolant if necessary. Reassemble the covers then go riding.