Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

JUST BOUGHT A 2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 700 EFI. GUY I BOUGHT

Customer Question

JUST BOUGHT A 2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 700 EFI. GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM SAYS IT WOULD IDLE ALL DAY, BUT WHEN YOU TRIED TO RIDE IT WOULD DIE OUT. IVE GOT IT HERE AND THE ONLY WAY IT WILL CRANK IS ON THE BATTERY CHARGER. WELL IT RUNS ABOUT 10-15 SECONDS. IDLING OR WIDE OPEN. THEN WILL DIE OUT. IT WILL START RIGHT BACK UP AFTER IT DIES. GOING TO GET A NEW BATTERY TONIGHT. ANY IDEAS? FUEL PUMP? INJECTORS? COMPUTER? OR MAYBE JUST THE BATTERY
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 6 years ago.
I would test the battery and charging system, as that is a cause of many running issues

Do you have a volt meter?

A battery may indicate a full charge condition in the battery voltage test and the specific gravity test, but still may not have the storage capacity necessary to properly function in the electrical system. For this reason, a battery capacity or load test should be conducted whenever poor battery performance is encountered. To perform this test, Verify the battery is fully charged. Then hook a multi tester to the battery The reading should be 12.6 volts or greater. Engage the starter and observe the battery voltage while cranking the engine. Continue the test for 15 seconds. During cranking the observed voltage should not drop below 9.5 volts. If the beginning voltage is 12.6 volts or higher and the cranking voltage drops below 9.5 volts during the test, replace the battery.

Verify the battery is fully charged. With the engine running, connect the multimeter to the

Positive and negative battery terminals.

Test for Voltage dc with the multimeter. The meter display should read approximately 13.5 - 14.4 Vdc at idle if you need to raise the idle to see if the voltage reading raises with more RPM. If the voltage is lower than 13.5- 14.4 Vdc, The charging system is not charging the battery.

let me know your results.

common problems for the sportsman 700 are

1. fuel pumps
  2. dirty throttle body
  3. broken wires in the wire harness

if the battery and charging system test ok we can look other test to find the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just filled new battery with acid and going to charge overnight, we'll see what happens with it in the morning with a fresh battery.
Did you test the old one?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
finally took the bike for a ride yesterday with new battery, ran great for about 45 minutes, i turned the engine off for a few minutes, cranked it back up, and it ran very bad, backfiring thru the intake and exhaust. when putting in gear it would barely go. seemed to get better rpm by pumping the throttle rather than holding it steady. after messing with it for a few minutes it straightened up. rode around the yard a little and it started again. it went back and forth the rest of the evening from running great to running bad. it can be sitting there idling and you can hear it go from running good to running bad and vice versa. checked fuel filter and plug on ecm. i think its either the coil, the ecm, or bad fuel/injector. nothing seems to trigger this problem, it just does it whenever. and it has died on me twice(while running good) like it just shuts off. but will start right back up. thanks for any help. billy

Does the "Check Engine" come on the meter?

the fuel filter is in the tank and not serviceable. I wold not replace part with out confirming what is bad.

Ignition coils on Power sports units rarely go bad. I have never replace a failed fuel injector. I have replaced ECMs on the rangers but it is because it will not spark one of the ignition coils. Usually It is no an intermittently thing when a ECM goes bad is just quits working.

Check the throttle body to see how dirty it is. if it is dirty clean it with throttle body cleaner or carb clean.

the thumb throttle free play should be only 1/8 inch of free play as it has a cut out system in the throttle and will come on if the throttle is not adjusted properly.

Edited by Jeff Policky on 3/25/2010 at 2:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the bike does have a serviceable fuel filter it is located right behind the radiator filler neck below the handlebars. im going to clean the throttle body and check throttle play. if that doesnt do it ill start running down wires. thanks for your help

Yes you are correct. I was thinking the Ranger sorry about that.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES IT DOES

To enable the blink codes, turn the ignition from "OFF" to "ON" 3 times, leaving it 'on' the 3rd time, within 5 seconds.Any "blink codes" stored in the ECU will display, one at a

time, in numerical order. The word END will display after all codes have been transmitted. Let me know what codes you have.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i have code 41 51 and 52

41 Air Temp Sensor: Open or Short Circuit to Sensor Voltage (ECU) OR Short Circuit to Ground

51 Injector 1: Open Load, Short Circuit to Ground OR Short Circuit to Battery

52 Injector 2: Open Load, Short Circuit to Ground OR Short Circuit to Battery

Check Battery Voltage (12.5VDC minimum)

90 % of the time on Polaris's it is wiring issue check at the ends of the connectors and where they go into the main wire harness on each of the bad components for chafing and broken wires.

let me know what you find.