Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

2006 polaris sportsman 500 ho..Leaking gas..ride

Customer Question

2006 polaris sportsman 500 ho. Leaking gas! Has to be filled up three times to ride all day. I can see fuel going up the little tube at head light. When i loosen the fuel cap it stops. Runnin or not same deal. Once in a while it doesent want to crank right away. Runs fine.
Thanks
Robert
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello
does this just start pouring out while sitting, or when the fuel is moving around in the tank a bit from bumps and ect.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It pours out while sitting. People behind me while I'm riding say they smell gas.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
on the very bottom of the carb there is either a hose, or a nozzle. does fuel continue to leak out of it with the gas turned on and machine running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to check. I thought it was fuel injected.

Robert

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
there happens to be a carbed model and fuel injected model. as listed in the description it was described as an HO model. im showing that as the carbed model. if this is the fuel injected model let me know, that will change some things. thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK

I saw what looked to be a carb with out a bowl. It had a nozel or something of that kind at the bottom. No fuel comeing from there when running or not running.

Robert

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
ok, just wanted to make sure that it wasnt comeing from that nozzle. but i would definitely keep an eye on it. this is most commonly where the fuel likes to spit out at. because of the float being a little out of adjust, or bouncing around a alot will cause the float chamber to overfill and go out that over flow. if it is truly comeing out of the fuel tank hose. then this is from the gas boiling out. riding all day this really heats up the tank. these come stock with a little bit of a heat shielding tape on the underside of the tank to combat this. but with the conditions you ride. you may need to go to the hardware store and buy some heat reflective tape and go over the bottom of the tank very well. this is fairly common. and has alot to do with the type of riding that is done with the atv. also keep that vent line routed as it should be stock. if this is a result of sloshing and fuel making it out of the tank prematurely, make that hose route a little higher into the handlebars and that should alleviate any sloshing loss. since this goes away with the cap taken off, that tells me right away that it is a vapor issue. those vapors will condense and go back to liquid state in that tube, and that is why you can see it travel out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think I need to clean it up where I can see better, and try to get a visual on where the fuel is coming from. I saw the bubbles of fuel in the tube but never saw them come out any where. I did see fuel on the ground under it in my drive way.

I will be back in touch.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
definitely pinning down where the leaking is occurring is key, ill await your findings
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK

A couple of things. My 2006 polaris is not a HO. It is fuel injected. I gave you bad info. Sorry about that. I cleaned it up and cant see fuel leaking any where. The leak or whatever it is seams to be gone for now or only come and goes. I am stumped.

Robert

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
that changes things a bit. on the fuel injected tank there are two different venting lines on this tank on that follows on the left side i believe has a one way check valve. a rollover valve. if this starts to fail or hang up, it can cause fuel to escape through that hose for sure. it can also happen intermit. so if you arent losing your fuel due to vaporizing then this little check valve may be what is causing the fuel to escape.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I noticed today that the fuel gage does not work. I have only had this thing a few weeks so im just getting to know it. fuel gage says full all the time. Could this be related to lhe leak in any way. I am going to ride in the morning and try to see if I can figure this out. Should I be able to see this check valve leak or should I just replace it. Bike has a little over 500 miles on it.also any ideas on the fuel guage?

thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
The fuel gauge not working is interesting. But I don't know if the two conditions would be related. If you can catch fuel leaking excessively out of that hose, then just replace out that check valve. You might be able to check it, bur if by chance it is intermit you might not be able to catch it failing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have taken the plastic off now and the only vent I see is on top of the tank.. There is no vent on either side of the tank and I see no check valve of any kind. Only thing I see is a sending unit and fuel line with quick connections on it. Still stong smell of raw fuel when riding and was only able to get about 20 miles before I had to fill up again.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

do you see that vent line tie in with any other line?