yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  service technician on yamaha suzuki polaris products since early 70's. currently own and manage deal
30179223

Viper: 2002 yamaha..throttle everything is fine until I let..slows

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Yamaha SX Viper snowmobile. When on the throttle everything is fine until I let off the throttle and try to hit it again. Hitting the throttle does notjing at this point and the sled slows to a stop. I then have to shut down the sled and restart it and it then works fine. It used to do this on occasion and is now doing it more frequently......Help.....Thanks, TJ
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  yamsuzpolaris replied 4 years ago.
you must be 100 percent more specific as to what this sled engine is doing. at what speed, throttle setting does it run ok? when you let off, how quick do you re-hit it? how much? how slows to a stop? engine quits, sputters, idles, please be specific. do you shut it off, or does it shut itself off? does it restart right away? how soon or fast? what is occasion in minutes or miles before it acts up again? I can get information to help you, but tell me EVERYTHING IN DETAIL. Mark
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has been happening when going about 50-70mph. As soon as I let off the throttle to go around a corner or at an intersection, and then try to hit the throttle again, the sled doesn't go anywhere. I usually rehit the throttle withing a few seconds, usually just trying to ease back up to the speed that I was originally traveling at. the sled will then just slow down on its own. It will slow to a stop and continue to sit there and idle. At this point if I hit the gas it still will not go. I then have to shut it off(usually via the kill switch), pull the kill back up and turn the key and it starts right up and runs fine. Until the next time I go at a constant speed for a decent amount of time and have to hit the brake or slow down and it does it again. It seems to happen more often the longer that I go out for a day. I rode 50 mjiles and it happened twice. 150 miles and it happened 7 or 8 times. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, TJ
the problem is in the primary clutch slider posts. these are the plastic pieces that look like tubes with slots cut in them. no matter how they look, replace them. they warp and cause the clutch to bind and then causes no response from throttle unless you lift up the back of sled and rev it, it'll run good then but now when you put it back on the ground. best bet is to disassemble both clutches for a good cleaning of all bushing and bearing surfaces but definitely replace these slider bushings in the primary clutch. Mark
something I forgot to ask the first time. when engine idles down, does the warning light on the gauge unit next to the high beam indicator flash? if it does whenever you are operating snowmobile, count the sequences of flashes, such as short and long blinks and the time between them, as in short time between blinks or longer time between blinks. if so, let me know what they are blinking. Mark
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check it out and let you know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't had a chance to order the part yet, but there is something I forgot to add in before and just thought of. When I hit the gas after the sled will not go anymore, the engine will not even rev. The sled just slows down and will sit there and idle. What you are describing seems to be something that would require the engine to rev and the track not move. Just something else I wanted to fill you in on before I order the part.
The clutch acts like a huge governor on the engine itself in addition to engaging the belt and drive system. I also asked the other techs that work here about the throttle safety system, yamaha calls it TORS. if the throttle and carb switches were bad, it puts the cdi into a rev limit mode, so that when you apply the throttle and release it and the switches are sticking, or throttle cable has too much freeplay, makes the switches think the throttle is stuck, then the engine blubbers really bad and sounds like you put the choke on full when the engine is fully warm and your holding the throttle open like its really flooded. then you will also get (or should) a blinking code indicator that signifies this is also wrong with it. What I am referring to here and prior responses if what we have seen with these sleds that occasionally fails, doesn't mean that something I've never seen before could be going wrong with yours. Mark