Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

I have a 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660. On occasion the the shift

I have a 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660. On occasion the the shift indicator lights light up indicating the vehicle is in low, high and reverse all at the same time. The transmission is actually in high at the time. The transmission seems to be functioning properly in that the vehicle operates normally with the exception of the indicator lights. The vehicle has 154 hours on it. The lights only come on simultaneously intermittently. Any ideas what the problem maybe and how to correct it? Thanks!

The unit has only PARK, REVERS AND NETUTRAL indicator lights is that not correct?

what light are on at the same time?

Does it have just lights or a meter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The unit has (from top to bottom) L, H,N,R,P (when the parking brake is engaged) Thus far I have seen all of the lights on at once, or some in multiple combinations, except the parking brake indicator which only lights when the brake is engaged. The lights that are malfunctioning will come on when I shift into any gear, including neutral and they have always gone off and began to function correctly with no repair made. As an example when I was riding two days age the H,N, and R were all on when I was in high driving, I stopped and went into neutral, and they remained on, I then went into reverse and backed up a distance and they remained on. They stayed on until I was done riding. When I went to the garage and started the unit up yesterday they were functioning normally. Makes me think something is loose or making contact with something else or maybe (and this is a long shot as far as I'm concerned) could be happening when the unit warms up. I have only used it sparingly since this problem started a couple weeks ago.

The gear position switch could be bad or shorted wiring problem. The gear position switch is on the left rear of the motor, disconnect the switch and test ride the unit to see if the lights L, H,N,R come on.

let me know what the results are.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. Can you tell me what number item the switch is in the diagram you sent so I know it when I see it. When you say the switch is on the left side of the motor I assume it is the drivers side and is it accessed by removing the seats and center console or by lifting the bed?
Yes the drivers side is the left side. and you will need remove the seats and center console. It is part #2 in the diagram
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try and let you know
Thank You sounds good I will be waiting