mike
mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Race atv Repair and rebuild race quads

I have an 03 Prairie 360. The check belt light was flashing

I have an '03 Prairie 360. The "check belt" light was flashing and I took it in to have it serviced. I got it out, ran it about a day, and it has started flashing again. The battery was dead from not operating the bike but once or twice a year. I have replaced the battery now, but the light is still flashing. Is there a way to reset the "check belt" alarm? I think that the dead battery has triggered the alarm, since the service dept. did not have to replace the belt and said that it was in good shape.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.

Hi here is the reset procedure same as the 650. Mike

• 2003 650, Prairie 700 and BF650 SRA can also have their belt switches tripped by a loose belt. A tripped switch will cause loss of power. Adjust the belt and flip switch to the "ON" position (a loose belt flips it to off). However, the belt light may stay on after flipping the switch back to "ON", or it may have come on automatically at 100 hours to get you to return the machine to the dealer for inspection even though the belt switch is not tripped. The following procedures will reset the light if the belt switch is not tripped. A belt light needing to be reset (such as at 100 hours) will cause early 2003 machines to loose power, but not later ones (I am told). If you aren't sure which procedure to use on your 2003 650, try the first one. If it does not reset the light use the second one.

• The 360 belt light behavior is very similar to the 2003 650. If at first you can not find the right connectors, keep looking deeper because they really are there in a similar location to the P650. This has been the case with many 360 owners, they found them after looking further.

• There is a procedure in the Vforce folder for the Vforce to reset the light. The Vforce does not have a belt trip switch.
    Note: Disconnecting the battery does not reset the light.

Note: there have been rumors that the ON/OFF label on the belt trip switch has been mislabeled on a couple of machines. You may want to double check your switch is flipped toward the rear of the ATV (bad belt flips switch forward). The switch is inside the CVT cover. Do not turn the ignition on with the CVT cover removed or the KEBC motor will spool out and prevent you from putting the cover back on (unplug the KEBC motor if you do).

Note: A poorly connected battery can cause the light to repeatedly come on even if the switch doesn't flip. A bad ignition switch might also be a cuplrit.

Note: Always inspect the drive belt before resetting the belt warning light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early 2003 650 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

3. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

4. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

5. Turn the ignition switch ON.

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

Belt light reset procedure for late 2003 and later P650, P360, and BF650SRA.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

3. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON.

5. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

Location of the belt trip switch, all models except V-force:

Prairie 650/700 BF650 Light reset plug location:

• mike, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: Race atv Repair and rebuild race quads