Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.

02 honda 400 atv new coil no spark help.

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello
there ate a couple key components to the ignition system on this. First off ensure no power is getting to the coil when attempting to start. Next there is a blue/yellow tracer wire coming from the crankcase. With an ohm meter check resistance between that wire and ground while disconnected. What reading do you get? Are you getting power at the coil when cranking the motor over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No power to the coil. The blue/yellow wire coming from the top of the crank does not show a reading. Do you happen to have a wiring diagram.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I don't. They don't have us show any publications due to copyright laws. That blue/yellow wire is the trigger coil wire. This is suppose to put a small amount of ac voltage to the cdi to tell it when to fire. There is a resistance reading that you should be able to get from it. Approx 300 ohms between that wire and ground. But if you don't get anything, that very well would be the issue and replaceing it out would be the thing to do. The cdi units on these very very rarely go out. Unfortunately there is no way to check them. The tech is to test all other components before resulting to that. Also one other check you will want to check is at the cdi box. If you unplug the connectors at the cdi. And test for resistance between the black/white wire and ground. There should be absolutely no continuity at all when the key is on. And the run switch is on. Because that wire grounding is what cuts off the ignition as well. But if you aren't getting a reading on that blue/yellow wire that trigger coil Is the problem.
Eric, Technician
Experience: MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi i have a 2001 honda trx 400ex im not getting a spark there is about 7 or 8 cut wires on my wiring harness that arent going anywere so i bought a wirirng harness off ebay it is in rilly good shape but i found out when i got it that it is off a 2002 all of the plugs to hook it up look the same except for the silicon rectifier if i bought one for the new wiring harness would it work on my quad??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a 2001 honda trx 400ex im not getting a spark there is about 7 or 8 cut wires on my wiring harness that arent going anywere so i bought a wirirng harness off ebay it is in rilly good shape but i found out when i got it that it is off a 2002 all of the plugs to hook it up look the same except for the silicon rectifier if i bought one for the new wiring harness would it work on my quad??