Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

527935

I own a 2005 Honda ATV: TRX400FA/FGA Four Trax Rancher AT/With GPScape. Over the last 30+ miles, I've noticed a problem develop and increase with the automatic transmission slipping when climbing slow, steep inclines (like loading it in a truck bed from the ground using a ramp). It seems to be more of a metallic “chattering” like it’s not completely engaged in gear versus a slip. My first action will be to change the oil and filter, since my understanding is the transmission operates using the same oil. What else could it possibly be? Could it perhaps also need a clutch adjustment?..and if so, where is this located on this model?
Hello
on the 400at there is no clutch adjustment for this. As you are aware this is operated on oil. The oil changed would be the only thong you can do externally. If the display doesn't show any flashing then no sensors would appear to be failing either. There is a clutch however in this system. It is a centrifugal clutch. It is located behind the front engine caseing. Over time and wear then can begin to slip. However your case is a little more concerning. When the centrifugal clutch starts to slip, it will just slip. No known noises are made. But when the hondamatic begins to fail it will make a grinding noise. This is a pretty involved repair if that is so. So really your best option is to make sure the oil is good and up to level. If you still continue hearing grinding, you may have issues with the hondamatic.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am pretty sure I let the oil get too low, but hopefully caught it early enough to avoid bad damage. However, if it does require hondamatic repair, do you have any idea what that cost-range may be if taken to a dealer. I have a buddy that is pretty good with cycle engines, and may just opt to buy the parts and do-it-ourselves.

Thanks Eric