Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

I have a Polaris FST IQ 750..turbo..check engine lite..steady

Customer Question

I have a Polaris FST IQ 750 4stroke turbo 2006 model. I had the check engine lite come on last night. It came on steady and is on after thawing the machine out and checking fluid levels etc. The oil and coolant were slightly low but not significantly.The machine only has 500 miles on it.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 4 years ago.

the trouble light can be
activated by any one of seven
or eight sensors on the machine.
Polaris has a "Digital Wrench"
program that can scan the
machine and possibly find
a trouble code that will
help in finding the malfunction.

It is not practical on newer
machines to start replacing
parts as it could be one
of many sensors at fault.
There are sensors for
the throttle, intake air
temperature and pressure,
crankshaft position, exhaust temperature,
ground speed sensor, detonation sensor,
and coolant temperature.

The light can be triggered by
any of the above so hence the
need for computer diagnostics.

Anything very serious usually
causes the control unit to stop
the machine from running at all.
A faulty exhaust temperature sensor
can sometimes throw up false
warnings.

The dealers can check for problems
or delete any stored trouble codes
that are not relevant with the digital
software.

Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it in to a Polaris shop and they basically concurred with your answer. There was a code for the reverse switch that showed up. There were 4 upgrades including one for the computer so it was good I took it in. Looks like with this new stuff you almost have to take it to the shop, can't fix much on your own anymore.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 4 years ago.

I am glad you got it checked out.
You are right about it being harder
to fix things at home, so many
electronics these days.
Everything is run by computers
and sensors.
I guess that's what progress looks like.
I miss the old repair shops where
things seemed more easy going
and hands on.
Thank you and good luck in the future!