stiger53, Technician
Experience:  10+ years cert. seadoo, skidoo, spyder, can-am atv, yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki, polaris, arctic cat

I have a 2004 polaris magnum 330 4+4 atv. The problem I have

I have a 2004 polaris magnum 330 4+4 atv.
The problem I have is electrical, a black box mounted in the front of the machine, below the steering column caught on fire. the no. is(NNN) NNN-NNNNsure power. It look like a power converter.
Thanks Gary

What is your question. If you could send your vin# XXXXX can check the vin for a recall that is about replacing the sure power module.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

serial No.

product No.

hope this helps Gary

There are no recalls on this unit. The sure power module (ECM) integrates three electronic features found on the polaris atv. These features are the alternator rectifier/regulato, engine tempereature controller, and solid state circuit breaker outputs. So part of it is like a power converter.

Edited by stiger53 on 12/28/2009 at 6:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so what makes this module catch on fire. the wiring harness up to the box are not melted. Im thinking that the module had a melt down internaly?
What happens that the rectifier/regulator part goes bad shorts out and causes a melt down internally.