Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

2006 750 Brute Force Belt Light Wont Reset

Customer Question

I have tried and tried to reset my belt light on my 2006 750 brute force and it will not reset and the switch is not tripped. What can i do?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.

It's possible the belt switch is faulty or other issues. I'm posting the system test chart. Please follow this and let me know what you find.

I also need to know how you cleared the memory to make sure no step was missed.

Doug

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

with the key off i unplugged the two 4 pin connectors turned the key on and then unpluggeed the 2 pin connector by the cvt cover let the light flash for 30 seconds turned off the key and plugged everything in and turned back on the key., There was one tim i got it to work and the minute i hit the start button it came back on. I only have 500 miles on it and 70 hours. It was not on when i put in my back shed and a about a month later i went to get it out and the light was on.

Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Did you check all of the wiring to make sure a mouse didn't chew off the insulation on a wire or two? I have that problem from time to time.

Is the location it's stored in very damp?

There is a hour sensor in the system also that turns on the light at regular intervals so you remember to check the belt (100 hours of use).

Are any other codes flashing? (What lights are flashing and at what intervals?)

Here is the clearing method from the manual, but it sounds like you did that correctly. I would inspect the wiring and try clearing it one more time. Then we will move on to testing the individual parts until we find the problem.

Doug

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is stored in a shed, not to damp i dont believe, i checked some of the wiring so far but i will check more. No other codes flashing. is there a way to bypass anything by jumping it out?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Unplug the connector to the belt switch. (BL/W & BR wires on the switch side)
Connect your ohm meter and test the switch. It should be open when tripped and show closed when reset.

For system test purposes you could jumper the wires at the connector. You would want the system working in case someone was riding the machine and the clutch failed. Reducing the engine RPM would keep clutch parts from flying through the belt cover.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well i will check some things out when i get time and will let you know
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. When you reply to this message it will pop up in my box.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so i just spent the last couple hours checking into things, i took the fenders off and checked the wiring, what i could see of it and all seemed to be fine. I tried the reset procedure again and it worked untill i tried to start it. Is it possible that a bad battery could be causing this problem. I had it charged up and didnt seem to last long.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Have your battery load tested and then check the charging system. You should be charging 12.6 or higher at idle and 14.5 volts (DC) max. If there is a problem with the battery or charging system it will indeed mess up the ignition and other areas of the system. The drawback to high tech machines is that they always need a steady power supply.

Once we can rule out the battery and voltage regulator as an issue, we can move on to other tests. I wouldn't trust any test number until we know the battery and charging system are working correctly.

If you can't get the battery to a place that tests them (any bike shop, auto shop, battery seller, etc.) let me know. I can give you a way to test it, but it's not 100%.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright i will try and have it tested tomorrow and let you know
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi doug, so i got the battery load tested and was fine. I got the light to reset and came on again the minute i hit start. We put booster cables on and my dad was messing around with the cables, they were sparking and i heard some clicking noise coming from somewhere in the back, so we charged the battery up and tried again. I started it 4 or 5 times didnt let it run to long but the light never came back on, could it that someting was stuck and by arcing the cables it freed up?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
I don't understand why you needed booster cables if the battery was fine? If the battery was low on voltage it may have needed the extra power to fully reset the memory.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
for some reason the battery wouldnt take a charge at first. so we did that just for an extra boost
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
That's very risky. A boost charger can fry the regulator and igniter on those machines and cost you many hundreds of dollars. Glad to hear it all worked out. I think the problem was the battery voltage being too low to allow the memory to clear.

Doug
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Be sure to check your charging system voltage to make sure there isn't a problem there after using the booster. You should be charging 12.6 or higher at idle and 14.5 volts (DC) max. Check this at the battery terminals.

If the rate is within the specs and your battery is holding a charge, you should be good to go.

When storing the machine it's best to pull the battery cable. I also use SeaFoam in the fuel to keep it from going bad.

Let me know if you have any other problems.

Happy riding.

Doug
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi doug, my wheeler is doing it again. I ran it a little while today and the light came back on. Reset and and worked for about a half hour, took off the plow and went to move the wheeler and it was on again and got it top reset but the minute i hit start again it would come back on. Seemed to turn over good. any other ideas?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what you checked above, but these are the things to check.

Make sure your belt isn't the problem and tripping the switch. If you do plowing with the machine, the belt will stretch faster than under normal conditions.

Test the belt switch to see if it's failing. Check it for physical damage and do an ohm check to make sure it reads fully open and closed as it operates.

Check your charging voltage to make sure you aren't over or under charging. Voltage at the battery should run 12.6 to 14.5 volts.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI Doug, just wanted to let you know i may have found my problem. I did some research online and found people having problems with connecter under the fender by the gas tank so i ripped mine apart and found a bunch of corrossion on the connector, cleaned it up and seems to be working again for now, just thought that info might be usefull. Thanks
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I will look into that so I can put that in my notes.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i found it on the website quadcrazy.com, under brute force electrical roblems **remedies**
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Many thanks. The factory doesn't always tell us everything.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
your welcome, i hope it was my problem and hopefully it can help someone else out. Thanks for your help