Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

400 suzuki: quad..carb, dissasembled completely and blew..dies

Customer Question

2006 400 suzuki eiger quad starts and idles, will not rev up just stalls. Have checked all wiring, removed carb, dissasembled completely and blew out with air and still does same thing starts idles soon as you give it gas stalls, new plug same. when you rev it up, it kind of boggs and then dies. this one has me stumped. its an automatic 4x4. Help!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

by chance was this a result of a storage period? or was there any other particular time or event that this started to happen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I removed a buglar alarm off this quad about a year ago, it was having problems at that time, it would run and quite. or it would not start at all. I remove it and it started and ran fine. Now it is starting but will not rev up. I have been working on bikes for 30 plus years and this one has me stumped. I checked the spark with a timing light to see if when you try to rev it up if the spark was quiting and it is not. The plug isn;t wet when i take it out. It starts right up idles fine but won't rev. I have looked over everything, I don't know,
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
you found that the spark seemed to be pretty consistent then? the plug not being wet i think can help eliminate some possibilities with that. i would take a good long look at that main jet to make sure there is absolutely no buildup at all, in the emulsion tube as well. the newer suzukis like this are metered pretty close, so any buildup at all in these jets will show huge in running. also you can notice any signs of the slide being scratched up a bit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have had the carb apart twice the second time I checked ever part close, the slide the ruber diafram for rips and the main jet, pilot jet and intermidate jet all are clear, like new. I had the carb stripped so I could blow aie threw all the passages. The slide looked like new no scatches perfect. The carb looked like new when I took it apart. There was no dirt or mold. I looked threw all the jets pointed at a light. You could see straight threw them. could it be some kind of a rev limtiter.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

im not aware of any fail safe that would cause a rev limit, but in case another expert knows of something that may im going to opt out to let others view.