Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

Have a custom harley with jockey shift and suicide clutch/

Have a custom harley with jockey shift and suicide clutch/ four speed panhead.Want to put on a hand clutch as well for easy handling in heavy city traffic or emergency breaking. anybody have an good idea' how to do this?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hi freeloader,

it's not going to happen.

this is one of those times you have to decide if it's better to have cool foot clutch, or a practical hand clutch. sorry man.......

I'm sure this is nothing you haven't already heard.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi steve!

Thanks for quick reply.

I have read several places on the internet and bike magazines about people who have done this, but not how they have done it.

It would be similar to put the hand clutch on the jockey shift I think, but I'm not a mecanic.

I love my suicide shift and have used it for a few years, but I came across this idea' after reading about it.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

the problem, as I see it, is not building it but the mechanics of what it has to do.

fabricating a bracket to attach the foot clutch mechanism and the hand clutch mechanism to the same clutch lever should not be a problem.

the problem is, how is one going to operate without the other being operated? a hand clutch would never be strong enough to operate the mousetrap.

I don't see it.

give it a try. all you need is a bracket that allows you to attach the foot clutch cable and hand clutch to the same clutch lever. the easiest way I see this happening is buying another clutch lever from V-twin, cutting the attchment end off and welding it to the original clutch lever.

you can find a hand clutch assembly in the V-twin catalog.

Edited by steve on 11/12/2009 at 12:59 PM EST