N/A
N/A, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  N/A
7678406

2003 suzuki LT50 atv wont start. compression 120psi, new carb,

Customer Question

2003 suzuki LT50 atv wont start. compression 120psi, new carb, new plug.
will start with exhaust OFF if i prime it.
Exhaust not clogged.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

hello

when you try to attempt to start the atv, what does the plug look like. is it wet with fuel? can you confirm that it sparks by haveing the plug off, and grounding it while turning it over?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes, strong spark, bike will start with exhaust off, but exhaust not clogged.

yes wet with fuel.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
if you get the exhaust off. can you look into the exhaust port. sometimes these can become overly clogged with carbon. does the exhaust port appear to look anything like that? there should be approx a penny size diameter of clear port for the exhaust to go through.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the exhaust port is open.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

does moveing the fuel valve from PRIME, to any other position seem to make any difference? was the carb you replaced brand new? or off of a used atv? when you do get it to run, does it seem to start to soot over the spark plug?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes carb brand new, does not soot over plug, fuel valve from prime to on, does not change anything.

With exhaust off and prime thru carb, holding throttle wide open will start right up, and run above idle for 30 sec and then starts to die unless you choke it.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
it seems to me its starving for fuel. but with a new carb that wouldnt seem right. i think another expert might have better luck on this one then me so im going to opt out and another expert should be with you shortly, thank you.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 5 years ago.

As Eric said it is not getting a
proper fuel/air mixture for some reason.

Do you still need assistance?
Have you checked if the carb bowl
has fuel in it?

Edited by Druideck on 10/23/2009 at 10:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will double check that bowl has fuel, and that the prime setting doesn't change the way it starts or runs, and get back to you.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 5 years ago.
Okay, let me know, it might be the float
level setting is incorrect.