Jaxer
Jaxer, Motorcycle Answer Team
Experience:  Motorcycle Expert
4387830

Honda: with abs-brakes..left disc is much warmer than the right

I have a Honda CBF1000A with abs-brakes. When I feel with my hand the left disc is much warmer than the right. How can that be ? The brake is not draging when I turn the wheel.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jaxer replied 5 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

How could this be? If there is a small amount of air in the left side it will cause this. Also if the left break hose is weaker than the right it would require harder pressure to the right to get the same grab. If the fluid is old it would be a good idea to replace it as well if you bleed the brakes or replace the caliper hoses. Make sure to use "DOT 5" it is not the same as car brake fluid. The difference is the DOT 5 is synthetic and withstands heat better.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thank you for answer. I forgot to say the mc is new, only one month old. So the fluid is not old. The break hose is that the tube which leads the fluid ? They will e new too. You say harder pressure to the right, but it is the left that gets hot.

But I don´t know if there is air, since it is new. Same here: air would make it softer, so it is not air in the left. But it could be air in the right, so the left gets more pressure ?

Expert:  Jaxer replied 5 years ago.
Since this is a new motorcycle I would take it back to the dealer and have them bleed it as it should still be under warranty and might void the warranty if you try it yourself.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, the machanic said it was not air. The combined system uses 3 pistons in the left side and two in the right frontbrake, and the third goes with the backbrake. To get it even I must apply the backbrake
Expert:  Jaxer replied 5 years ago.
Sounds feasible, Have you tested it to see if that was true
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried and the heat in the frontbrakes were more even when I used the backbrake too. In fact they were not much warm, and instead the back brake was warm. It seems I must balance it. The instructionbook also says use both front and back brake. Cheers
Expert:  Jaxer replied 5 years ago.
Thats great, at least you know you are safe. Cheers
Jaxer, Motorcycle Answer Team
Experience: Motorcycle Expert