Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

We have a Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 - Model 620A - Frame number

Customer Question

We have a Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 - Model 620A - Frame number JK1AFCA15YB53191. How do I find out the year model.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
hello
from the frame VIN number. which is the number you have provided. it is the eighth digit from the right. so in your case it is a 5. a 5 means 2005. if it were a 4 it would be 2004 and so on. but pre existing to 2000 they used letters to designate instead and they skip a few letters so to try to determine that you can seach the letter VIN designation that you would have. but again this mule is a 2005
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have actually had the Mule since 2006 and bought it used. I truely believe it is older than a 2005. If it is prior to 2000 how would I find out then
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
the same spot on the VIN number that 8th digit from the right would indicate a letter instead of a number. and that sequence begins at 1980 and newer. 1980 it begins with A then B for 1982 and so on. but then they skip a few letters like "i" because it can be confused with one. and "o" to not be confused with zero. but according to that VIN number that is a 2005. a VIN number is XXXXX on all vehicles sold. not just to motorcycles or atv's you can check that same digit spot on your automotive vehicles as well.
Eric, Technician
Experience: MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
no problem at all, thank you.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
Sorry but I think that's the wrong information. The 10th digit is the year code and Y is 2000.   

Here is the printout I have on your unit.   

2000 KAWASAKI KAF620A
VIN: JK1AFCA15YBXXXXXX
World region: Asia
Manufactured in: Japan
Assembled in Lincoln Nebraska
Year: 2000   
Make: Kawasaki   
Model: KAF620A   
Body style: All Terrain   
Drive type: AWD   
Cylinders: 2 Cylinders

Doug
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, are you still online?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am online.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
Check my answer above. According to Kawasaki, you have a year 2000 model. The 10th digit is a Y and that also confirms it's a 2000 year. Does that match your records on your bill of sale?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well we bought it from an individual so we only have a Written receipt from him. We were needing to get filters and such, and they asked us the year and I had no way of knowing.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
Most of the parts are going to be the same, but it's best to have the right year just in case. You can purchase parts locally if you have a dealer or from a number of online Mule parts dealers. You can also download the parts diagrams to have on hand. I use:

www.mrcycles.com

www.babbittsonline.com

www.bikebandit.com

Just click on Kawasaki parts and then utility vehicle.

Doug

2000 KAWASAKI KAF620A
VIN: JK1AFCA15YBXXXXXX
World region: Asia
Manufactured in: Japan
Assembled in Lincoln Nebraska
Year: 2000   
Make: Kawasaki   
Model: KAF620A   
Body style: All Terrain   
Drive type: AWD   
Cylinders: 2 Cylinders
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so very much for your help. Your information has been extremely helpful.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome. You can ask for me in the future if you have any more Mule questions.

The answer you accepted above was not correct. You can have customer service transfer the accept to me if you wish. Just glad I could catch you and get the right information to you. Happy trails!

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I do that?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to ask and have them contact you. We don't run into this problem so not sure.

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. Please have them contact me and I will be more than happy to transfer the accept over to you.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
I have contacted them.

Thanks for using JA.

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
hello,
just to make sure i dont get thrown under the bus on this one. the 8th digit from the right is the same digit as the 10th digit from the left. the VIN is supposed to consist of 17 digits. i was shown a number with 16 digits which wasnt brought to my attention till i saw an additional post was made to this. so either method of finding the year would have worked fine. and i would double check the stamping on the frame to ensure you are getting the right year on this. it seems likely that it could be a year 2000 with the Y marking. but with the number i was given it was a digit short. and that was the reference i had to make the assesment from.
just wanted to make sure you have all the facts on this and that my approach to this was not mis informing you. thank you. im glad we were some help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I truely do not know where the confusion of the number of digits that were in the vin. I did not give any different numbers than what I originally gave to you. I apologize for all the confusion. If I need to pay both of you, I certainly am not opposed to it, Please make me aware of what I need to do. Your knowledge is valuable to those of us who don't have anyone to turn to. Thank you so much for your time and effort and again please advise what I need to do about payment.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
its certainly ok. although no furhter payment is required if you feel you have gotten help from doug, you are more then free to accept a reply from him as well. im not to cause any more confusion. but yet just wanting to make sure that info you are getting on here is reliable. so that customers like yourself are satisfied with the site and wont be afraid to use us in the future. doug as well as some others on here have alot of good experience. and alot of good help can come from us. so again thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcomed. I will visit your site again.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
Well if you are certain it is a 2005, then it's only fair you get paid. I will opt out.

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can promise you, it is not a 2005. We purchased it in 2006 and had been used on a sheep farm for 3 years