Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

How do I change the oil on 05 yfz 450

How do I change the oil on 05 yfz 450?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
hello
you will first want to drain off all the oil. two different bolts come out for this. one drains the oil tank, it as at the bottom of the tank you may need to remove the skid plate for that. and then there is a drain for the sump, or motor. and that is on the bottom of the crankcase. look for the larger then normal area bolt. after those are both drained. remove the oil filter that is one the right side of the motor. the cover for it is held in by three bolts. keep in mind the direction the oil filter is installed in. reassemble with the new filter.
next fill the oil tank as much as you can. you will only need about a total of 1.5 to 1.7 quarts of oil. use motorcycle grade 10w30 or 10w40 oil. you may not be able to fit that total amount of oil in. so add as much as you can. then run motor for a few seconds. then add up to where you have added approx. 1.5 quarts. then run the motor for about a minute. then immediately check the oil level at the dipstick in the oil tank. when checking the oil you dont have to screw the dipstick all the way in. and when you check the oil level you check it after running the atv. after time the oil will begin to settle into the motor cases. and away from reading range. this motor is a dry sump motor. meaning oil is distributed through out the motor then picked back up and stored in the tank. so takeing a reading after the oil is ran through is the proper way to find the correct oil level.
hope this gets you in the right direction. please let me know if i can be further help. thank you.
Eric, Technician
Experience: MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.