Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

My 1998 Arctic Cat 300 2x4 good..intake

My 1998 Arctic Cat 300 2x4 runs like the choke is on. After you cut it off and then crank it back up it will run good for a little while. The diaphram in the carburator is not picking the plunger in the intake up.What can I do to fix this?

The slide is not raising up when you give it gas? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That is correct. When that happens , it runs very rich and has no power.
You want to check a couple of things. First, check for damage to the slide or diaphragm. It may be a tiny pinhole. Check the impulse line on the carb for holes, cracks, etc. Check your valve settings. If your valves are set too tight, you will be low on vacuum. A compression test might show this as well, but if the valves haven't been set in awhile, go ahead and do that.

One of those things should be the cause of your problems. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You mention the impulse line on the carb,where is this? I don't know what this is.
I don't have my manual handy but I think this has a vacuum line from the carb to the fuel shutoff. This would be a line to the front of the carb or to the rubber intake manifold itself. If you have an electric fuel pump without a fuel shutoff, then you don't have this line.

Sorry, but I don't have my manual handy or I would know that for sure.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this how the vacumn gets to the top of the diaphram because I didn't see how it did get there. Thanks
No, there a passages inside of the carb. On the intake side there is one above the main opening. If you blow air in it will rise up.

Did you try blowing air into the carb? Did the slide rise up?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It didn't rise so I have ordered a new diaphram since there must be a hole in the one I have . Thanks
There is certainly something wrong with it if won't go up. I hope that gets you going again. Let me know how it works out.