Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

My 1998 Arctic Cat 300 2x4 runs..crank..run good..intake

My 1998 Arctic Cat 300 2x4 runs like the choke is on. After you cut it off and then crank it back up it will run good for a little while. The diaphram in the carburator is not picking the plunger in the intake up.What can I do to fix this?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

The slide is not raising up when you give it gas? Is that correct?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is correct. When that happens , it runs very rich and has no power.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
You want to check a couple of things. First, check for damage to the slide or diaphragm. It may be a tiny pinhole. Check the impulse line on the carb for holes, cracks, etc. Check your valve settings. If your valves are set too tight, you will be low on vacuum. A compression test might show this as well, but if the valves haven't been set in awhile, go ahead and do that.

One of those things should be the cause of your problems. Let me know what you find.

Doug

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You mention the impulse line on the carb,where is this? I don't know what this is.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
I don't have my manual handy but I think this has a vacuum line from the carb to the fuel shutoff. This would be a line to the front of the carb or to the rubber intake manifold itself. If you have an electric fuel pump without a fuel shutoff, then you don't have this line.

Sorry, but I don't have my manual handy or I would know that for sure.

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this how the vacumn gets to the top of the diaphram because I didn't see how it did get there. Thanks
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
No, there a passages inside of the carb. On the intake side there is one above the main opening. If you blow air in it will rise up.

Doug
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
Did you try blowing air into the carb? Did the slide rise up?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't rise so I have ordered a new diaphram since there must be a hole in the one I have . Thanks
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.
There is certainly something wrong with it if won't go up. I hope that gets you going again. Let me know how it works out.

Doug
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.