Bikee
Bikee, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have two years of experience.
15213007

2007 shift linkage adjustment fatboy

2007 shift linkage adjustment fatboy
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bikee replied 5 years ago.
If your shifting is sloppy and you're looking to tighten it up, then you need to replace the shifter bushing or the shifter U-joint. The U-joint is easier to replace. To change the bushing, you need to remove the shifter. Just behind the cup that the shifter goes in, there is a little plastic bushing that surrounds the shaft and is held in place by a metal loop hanging down from the top of the tunnel. Pull the shaft forward and slide/pull/yank/cut the old bushing out. Take the new bushing and slide it in place. It should snap into place and be firmly held in position. If it will not snap in or if there was no old bushing, then your loop is worn out and needs to be replaced. This is a little harder and would require much more explanation. To change the U-joint, you need to remove the rear seat. Underneath an oval plate held in place with a screw, there is a metal cage holding large square rubber blocks in place. There is a bolt going through the rubber blocks that attach the cage & blocks to the shift rod coming out of the transmission nose cone. If these blocks are loose or sloppy then they need to be replaced. I recommend getting the neoprene replacements. Just make sure to put a little grease around the outside of the blocks everywhere that they touch metal. They last a long time but they tend to be squeaky! A little grease will stop the squeaks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HOW DO I ADJUST THE SHIFT LINKAGE FROM THE SHIFTER TO THE TRANS LEVER
Expert:  Bikee replied 5 years ago.
Move the shifter handle and be sure it has a full range of motion with no obstructions or center console interference if you have one. It has to move freely. Move the shift lever on the tranny and be sure it moves freely too. Now put the shift selector handle all the way forward or all the way back and see if the linkage rod from the tranny shift lever will line up with the shift handle lever. You may have to adjust the tranny shift linkage rod length to match up. Most likely when you rebuilt the shifter handle you took up some slack in the shift linkage that it won't tolerate with the current shift linkage rod length.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not not work...i only have i , 2 3, now before i had 1, 2, 4, 3, 4, 5, and six only when i slamed the back pawl shifl pawl...very part moves freely, bike as not been droped, was coming back on a 250 ride when the shift linkage came apart because both jam nuts where completely backoff and bolt holding shift levers ft/bk was compleley loose and only hanging by a tread or two...what / how do i adjust linkage/what is the start point/is there a measurement from shifter hole to tranny hole?
Expert:  Bikee replied 5 years ago.
ok
Bikee, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: I have two years of experience.