TechScooter
TechScooter, Technician
Experience:  Honda and Kawasaki Motorcycle, ATV, MUV, KLX, CR/CRF certified

2001 honda: Rubicon..it, said it started making very loud noise..shift

I have a 2001 Honda Fourtrax Foreman Rubicon, nephew was riding it, said it started making very loud noise and takes a long time to shift. I called local Honda dealer, they said its very unlikely its the transmission, said it sounds like a sensor. My nephew has pulled the transmission and its fine. Nephew now thinks its the hondamatic. I think its the sensor on the hondamatic. What do you think? Is it likely to be the hondamatic or a sensor or something else.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TechScooter replied 5 years ago.

Does the unit when spin make any grinding/clicking noise? Is the front cover cracked? Did it make the loud noise when in gear only? And anything else you can tell me to help you figure this out. - Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When unit is spinning, it does not make any grinding/clicking noise. I don't know if the front cover is cracked, and yes, it only makes the loud noise when its in gear.
Make sure your oil pump is ok before you go back together. If the unit has in and out play in it(spining part and the bolted down housing) then it is likely the unit is bad. 1500 is alot of money to throw at the quad and not be sure though. Was it showing a code before you took it apart? - TechScooter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know 1500 is alot for the hondamatic, I just priced it. What are some of the common reasons for it to go out.
Oil pump, low oil level, blocked oil passage, or just plain bad luck(defective). Check the bearing in the front cover, make sure its not loose or damaged(the one that holds the unit in the cover) If it is damaged/loose it will let the unit wobble and there fore make noise. - TechScooter
TechScooter, Technician
Experience: Honda and Kawasaki Motorcycle, ATV, MUV, KLX, CR/CRF certified