MrHonda, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  40 years of Honda motorcycle ownership & repair. Author of the Classic Honda Buyer's Guide (MBI)

How can I adjust the hydraulic clutch on my 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan?

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  MrHonda replied 7 years ago.
Hi, sorry to say that you can't adjust a hydraulic clutch on your bike.

Kind of like the front disc brake... self-adjusting.

You really didn't say what your problem is... clutch not disengaging or not engaging?

Like the brakes, you have a master cylinder and a slave cylinder down on the engine that pushes on the clutch release rod.

What size Vulcan do you have? I think there is more than one Vulcan model.

Bill S.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My Valcan is a 1500 A. When I release the hand grip, the clutch doesnt engage until the lever is nearly at the end of its travel.
Expert:  MrHonda replied 7 years ago.
I looked at the illustrations at: CLUTCH and don't see anything that can be adjusted externally.

How many miles on the clutch/motor? Has this changed recently? Does the clutch try to slip under hard acceleration?

Usually if the hydraulics start to degrade, you get an opposite effect as far as clutch engagement/lever travel is concerned.

Bill S.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The bike has less than 12000 miles on it. The clutch doesnt slip once it engages, it just engages late.
Expert:  MrHonda replied 7 years ago.
Has this condition changed recently? For some people with short hand spans, they have "dogleg" levers available that bring the lever closer to the handlebars.

So the engagement and disengagement point is at the same general lever position?

Bill S.