Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.

Honda: front brakes..adjustment..the caliper on the rotor

I just put a new front tire on my Honda VTX 1800 with dual front brakes. The brake on the left side is out of adjustment. It is rubbing the caliper on the rotor. The spacers on the wheel are on correct side. How do I adjust the caliper so that the brake pads are centered after I put them on I took them off and centered everything and when I put back on it goes back off to the side.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
hello and welcome
to suck the wheel back to the right. when tightening the axle bolt. you first torque down that bolt before you torque down any of the pinch bolts. when tightened right that axle bolt will pull the wheel over to the right until it stops. chances are you may have torqued down the pinch bolts on the left side fork first causeing that fork to bend inwards causeing the caliper to rub on the rotor.
hope this helps. let me know if i can be further assistance. thank you.