MrHonda
MrHonda, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  40 years of Honda motorcycle ownership & repair. Author of the Classic Honda Buyer's Guide (MBI)
18591893

1985 suzuki: 1200....ive had the bike for years....and now this year

Customer Question

I have a 1985 suzuki Madura 1200....ive had the bike for years....and now this year...I cant get the seat to release...How do I get this seat off?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  MrHonda replied 5 years ago.
I checked this site for illustrations..

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-gv1200glf-madura-1985/o/m6271 SEAT

I see that it has a key operated seat latch. If it seems stuck, try turning the key, banging down on the seat, right above the lock and see if that doesn't free it up. Sounds like the latch needs some lubrication.

Bill S.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ive pounded on the seat...ive used wd 40 ....the key turns but the bugger wont unlatch? What are my options? Im getting ready to rip the sucker off...lol

Geo

Expert:  MrHonda replied 5 years ago.
Okay... can you get around to the fasteners for the key? Try to unbolt the key switch or get access to the little cable to pull on it. I can't see if the seat is hinged on the opposite side or just hooks into the frame somehow. If it is hinged, sometimes you can work at the hinge pins on that side and get the clips off the end of the pins and work the pins out. If it just has a hooked extension and locks into the frame, somehow, then you will have to continue to attack the lock assembly.

Bill S.
MrHonda, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 40 years of Honda motorcycle ownership & repair. Author of the Classic Honda Buyer's Guide (MBI)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There are no hinges...it locks into the frame...I will atttack the lock assembly....thanks

Expert:  MrHonda replied 5 years ago.
Okay... I hope you can work it loose without doing any major damage to it...

Bill S.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i attack it without damaging it....Im thinking Im just going to drill it out and try to unlatch the seat with a screw driver?
Expert:  MrHonda replied 5 years ago.
Don't drill out the lock... just the retainer screws on the switch ears, if you have to. Once the switch drops down, you can get to the back of it and see if the cable end is available for you to pull on further.

I'm not sure if you can reach down between the seats and remove the bolts for the passenger seat, to get more access to beneath the driver seat. Might be worth a try.

Bill S.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks bro...I will definetley try harder :-)

Geo

Expert:  MrHonda replied 5 years ago.
You shall overcome!

:>)

Bill S.