Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

how do u change a belt on a 08 brute force 750

how do u change a belt on a 08 brute force 750?????????????
how do u get the light to go off?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.

The belt light comes on at a certain amount of hours and you are supposed to check the belt and then reset the system. It also comes on if the belt fails, or there is a problem with the belt.

The first thing to do is to pull the belt cover and inspect the belt. If it is worn, cracked, frayed, etc., then you will need a new one. If everything is ok, you can reset the switch, install the cover and then clear the memory so the machine will run out of safe mode.

Pull the seat and do the following items to clear the memory and reset the system.

If you find that your belt is bad, let me know and I'll tell you how to change it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do you change belt?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
The shop way is to remove the cover then the front clutch, lift off the belt, install the belt and install the clutch. To do that you need a clutch holder and special puller. The clutch bolt is LH threaded so it turns to the right to loosen.

You probably don't have all of the shop tools so try it this way. Remove the cover. Put it in gear and lock the brake. On the rear driven clutch, grab the movable sheave and turn it. As you turn it, move it away from the fixed pulley to create play in the belt. Work the belt off being careful not to let the clutch slam shut and smash your fingers. This is how to change a snowmobile belt, so if you have done that before you should understand what I am telling you. It's the only other way to do it without spending money on special tools or taking the ATV to the shop. You will need a grip like a gorilla and some serious arm strength by the way.

Remember to put the belt on with the printing so you can read it. Never reverse a belt's running direction. Any time you remove a belt, install it in the same direction.

If you do have all of the holders and pullers let me know and I'll give you the instructions for doing it that way.