Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

My Rhino 660 has a transmission problem. The reverse light

Customer Question

My Rhino 660 has a transmission problem. The reverse light comes on constantly while in forward gear causing the engine to pop and sputter and lose power, we have changed the micro chip, changed out the gear shift mechanism and the problem still exisits, this all happens when to go 25 mph. What else can we do?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 7 years ago.

The problem I have seen with the rhinos with the reverse light on is. a shorted reverse light wire or a bad reverse switch. the switch is under the carb area and the wire is green/white.

the reason the engine to pop and sputter and losing power is the unit thinks it is in reverse and their is a speed limiter when the unit is in reverse. you may just want to disconnect the switch to see if that will get the light out. if not you could have a problem in the wire harness

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can i just disconect the wire and slove the problem and leave the wire disconected, do i have to have a mechanic do this or can i?

Once you locate the switch just pull up on the connector to the switch to disconnected it. it is easy but it may not solve the problem if it is a shorted wire in the harness. If it is the switch disconnecting the wire from the switch will fix it.