Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

The local Kawasaki dealership rebuid the carb(at least..adjust..valves

Customer Question

I have a Bayou 250. I had the local Kawasaki dealership rebuid the carb(at least that's what I paid for) and adjust the valves when I got it used. It will flood at start if you use choke or give it any gas. It throttles up strong when accelerating, but skips badly at a steady speed. Backfires when letting off throttle. It took it back to the dealer and they adjusted it again and charged me again, but it still acts the same. The guy said I have to run it 2-3 times/ week or it will just do that. I call BS on that! I don't want to spend more with them, so I want to try it myself. Once running, it idles poorly and it fouls plugs. Wouldn't that indicate it is running too rich? I have tried screwing the jet underneath in at different settings, but can't get it right. How do you get thet throttle and chokes cables loose if I need to remove the carb? Any suggestions?

Mark Allmond
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mark,

I think you are correct that it is running too rich. You almost always should need the choke to cold start it unless it's sitting outside in the summer sun.

There are a few things I would look at, and you can easily do this yourself. First, make sure the choke plunger is bottoming into the carb. With the choke off, the cable should have freeplay where it goes into the carb fitting. The fitting that screws into the carb body is plastic and they crack if not installed properly. I think it's a 12mm head on the fitting and you can't get a good swing on the wrench. Some hatchet mechanics might use a vise grip or something else on it and distort or crack the fitting. The lever at the bar can also come apart on the inside so the lever is moving but the cable is sticking. Checking the freeplay at the carb end will tell you if it's working or not. The plunger itself can also stick so check that.

The other problem I see many professional mechanics screw up is not checking the float level correctly. Attach a clear hose to the bottom of the float bowl drain fitting. Run the hose up alongside the carb body. Turn on the fuel and open the drain screw. When the fuel stops rising in the hose, measure from the level in the hose to the float bowl top. See the diagram below for how that looks. Let me know what the level in your carb is.

Last up in the carb area is the main jet holder. It has an o-ring on it and if it is bad the carb will always run rich.

Check those items and let me know what you find. That should be a very durable well running machine so let's see if we can't get that to be the case.

Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was outside trying to get my mower running. Last week at this time it was snowing!!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the choke and it seems to be working right. The hose to the bowl shows the level only rising to just above the bottom f the bowl.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My bad, there was a crimp in the hose. It rises to right at the top of the bowl where the gasket is.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
Should be .5mm below the top of the bowl. The gasket is about 2mm thick so you want it just below the top edge of the bowl.

Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
Here is a breakdown of the carb. The o-ring that can leak and cause an over rich issue is number 11009A .

The 220 and 250 are very lean running normally and I have to jet them richer for best performance so there is something not correct with yours.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, I'll check it out some more when I get time.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got it fixed. The choke wasn't going all the way down. I think the twisting when screwing in the cable was making it bind. I twisted it the opposite way before screwing it in. It now works perfectly!

Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
Outstanding! Happy trails!