james1
james1, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years in the industry. service manager and shop owner.
12610222

1986 honda: trx..wheeler..right back..few tries it will run fine

Customer Question

i have an 1986 honda trx 350 four wheeler that shuts off while you your riding it shuts off. i can start it right back up but when i put in gear it just keeps shuting off after a few tries it will run fine again for a whlle then it does it again.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  james1 replied 5 years ago.
this model has an electric fuel pump and relay. when it dies check for fuel in the carb by loosening the drain screw you should have plenty of fuel flow. The pump only works when you push the starter button so make sure you push it when you try and refill the bowl.listen for the sound of the pump cycling and look for fuel flow at the drain.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when it dies it stats imediatly and runs fine when i put in gear it dies
Expert:  james1 replied 5 years ago.
ok, so when its running in nuetral can you raise the rpm normally or does it stall only when you place it into gear? the reason i ask is that this atv has no safety mechanism that would kill the ignition when placed into gear. If its shutting down when you put it into gear then there is something amiss in the transmission or clutch thats stopping the rotation of the crankshaft.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ya it runs fine revs up , idles .. it has an oil cooler on it so i know its not over heating. I take good care in of the wheeler i do a service every spring and fall . I plow with it all winter long so it never just sits.