Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Ranger 4x4: 10-15 minutes..popping..limp mode it seems..fluids

Customer Question

We have a 2007 polaris ranger 4x4 700 with only 60 hours on it. It runs terrible after about 10-15 minutes of running, missing, popping, going into limp mode it seems. We tried new gas, plugs, checked all fluids, waster pump and thermostat. Dealer has looked at it twice says it is fixed and 20 minutes after getting it home it still does it. They have no idea and have charged me alot of money. Very frustrated, no codes are coming up on the dash. Thought maybe fuel injector but it does run great for a short while then goes to hell. Lately it has been running crappy right from the initial start up. I have read other people have similar problem but no one has posted any fix or solutions.

It did have an overheating problem after the 50 hour check up because the dealer replaced the radiator fluids without purging the air from the system, which we figure out.

HELP any suggestions??
Thanks John
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.

Hello John

I can tell you where I start

1. The throttle body gets coked up (carbon build up on the inside of the throttle body). Clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner or carb cleaner sprays.

2. checking the TPS adjustment, miss adjusted TPS usually causes poor idling situations

3. check the fuel pressure. I believe it is 43 psi i will confirm it and get back to you

4. check the FI codes on Polaris's Digital Wrench

I do not know what your dealership has checked they may have done what I do and more. This is where I start and if all of this passes the tests i start to look at the FI and Ignition system.

The fuel pressure is 39 psi.

I had a 2007 Ranger crew today with the missing, popping after driving for about two miles. I did all of the test I described to you before. I did have a code 21 Lose of engine sycrnitation. Meaning the computer did not know what position the piston was in the cylinder. I checked the Crank Position Sensor CPS. used an ohm meter to test it found it had .586 ohms that was ok. checked the air gap between the flywheel and CPS that was ok. checked wiring to CPS from ECM no opens or shorts found. Still would not run correctly, until I disconnected the ECM from the wiring harness to check for corrosion in the connector. after reinstalling the ECM the unit has been running good. Went about six miles and no problem since. I do not know if the disconnecting and reconnecting reset something in the ECM..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
I'll check the throttle body, but what doesn't make sense is that the poor performance is intermitent. I would think the throttle body build up would make it run bad all the time. Idle is probably the only time it runs good. It is under acceleration that it pops, misses. If you use full throttle it bogs (even in neutral) and has a tough time getting up to 4000 rpm. I believe the motor is dumping alot of fuel into the cylinders as if to go into limp mode. Checking the plugs they are always black and fouled.
Not being a dealer I can not get a Polaris Digital Wrench so that is not an option. No codes are coming up on the display but 61 which is END.
The service manual did say something about the transmission being out of adjustment would send it inot limp mode??? But when running well there seems to be no tranny problems. It jumps up to high 30 mph when running well.

We have disconnected the ecu, battery, all electrical connections and plugged back in- NOTHING. We also have 39 psi for fule pressure. I would let that ranger warm up for 20 minutes or so, run it hard- shut it down- start it back up run it for 20 then hard before giving it back because it nay not be fixed.
Any other ideas?
Thanks John

Hello John

Did you keep the Fuel pressure gage on when the engin was miss fireing?

you may have done this but i would check the fuel pressure when it is acting up. I had a ranger that would run ok at times then would start missing and popping. The fuel pump could not pump 39 psi consistently, sometimes it would and sometimes it couldn't keep it above 39psi. another thing is fuel volume could be a problem. you may have good fuel pressure and not enough volume to keep the unit running correctly.

How long did you disconnect the ECM for?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
Fuel pressure is stable when running good or bad.

ECM was disconnected for 10-15 minutes.

I went to the fuel injection yesterday and here is what I noticed.
Started it up, it ran great. Let it run for about 15 minutes- no problems yet. Blasted down the driveway and up the street. As soon as I got a couple blocks away it started into its blog mode, still running just sluggish, popping, and the motor becomes louder almost like valve noise. I did unplug the fuel injector one at a time and switch the wires at the plugs. 1 injector made a big difference when unplugged the other made a slight difference and the bad one when unplugged the popping went away. It did not matter what plug the injector was plugged into the same injector was bad after warming up(driver side). Odd that it does not do it when cold. I was thinking of ordering 1 new injector (after I take them out and inspect them) to see if that is the problem. What do you think??
Thanks John

From what you are describing sounds like you have a injector going bad. As the unit warms up the injectors electrical resistance increases, and due to the higher resistance the injector will not open enough to allow the proper amount of fuel in to the engine. You can do a resistance test on the injectors to see if their is a bad one. the resistance should be close between the two if not you have one going bad. I will get you the resistance spec today.

Take a ohms reading on both injectors and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
Evertime I think we are getting somewhere it ends up nowhere. Latest- Switching injectors did nothing but confirm that the same cylinder is having problems- not an injector problem. Ohm reading same on both. When it does warm up as I mention before it sounds like valves or loud lifters. We are thinking that the valve guides or the valves in that one cylinder are getting stuck open and that maybe why we are not seeing any computer codes showing up.
What do you think?

The valve problem is possible. I would think that the valve is not sealing like with adjustable valves that are set to tight. It will start but when they warm up the valve will not close all the way due to the tight adjustment. they usually will not stay running when they warm up. I do not think it is a stuck valve as it would hit the piston and bend it. Then it would not start due to no compression. Have you taken a compression test?

it could be carbon build up on the valves. I would use Yamaha ring free to help get rid of carbon if that's what it is.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
We started the ranger and let it run for about 2 hours idling yesterday and listen to the engine. As the motor got up to normal running temp. the lifters began to make noise and the popping began in the one cylinder. We then took out that one plug and it is fouled black from the intake valve probably be open. He seems like there may be a drop in oil pressure once it is warmed up. My latest question- there seems to be no light or indicator when the oil pressure is low- is that true? What should the oil pressure be and I believe there is a valve to test the oil pressure near the oil filter- correct? We are going to take the valve cover off to inspect while running next. We we took off the vlave cover before we could easily push the lifter down as if it was new and had not been primed before.
Any insight?

John,

You are correct, No there is no low oil pressure indicator on that unit. The oil pressure should be Standard: 39 PSI Minimum: 35 PSI. with the engine at RPM 5500 (Engine Hot):

it is blind plug from left side of crankcase by the oil filter.

I know that two to three of the 700 & 800 EFI motors we had to replace the lifters due to them collapsing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
Changed the oil and filter and the filter was fine. We found a 1/4" allen plug 2-1/2" above the oil filter, removed it hooked up an oil pressure gauge and there is no pressure when running. Is this the correct plug?? Or by blind is it behind a cover? When we put air to it the air flows without resistance up throught the breather in the valve cover.
That does not sound like oil passage. you should find the oil passege near the dip stick tube.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
I know your getting tired of the questions- probably about as tired as I am of the Polaris. After taking of the valve cover and depressing the valves they remain down not to return to the closed position and it looks as thought it has not seen oil in awhile. We are thinking the oil pump needs to be primed for some reason (as described in the service manual). Are we on the right track??
Thanks John

the oil pump should not need to be primed at this point. priming is only needed when the motor has been rebuilt. that priming passage is where you can take the oil pressure reading. if the valve has not seen oil in awhile you could have a blocked passage or a weak oil pump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
We hav 10 psi at idle and it goes away when throttle is applied. Is there any other way to test the oil pump for proper function, and can you remove the oil pump without having to pull the engine out?
Thanks John
I think we are getting close.

I think you are correct John.

That is the only way to test the oil pumps output. Other than remove the motor and split the cases and physically view the oil pump. sounds like you may have some sort of restriction in the intake to the oil pump. Like a clogged screen or plugged oil filter. I am going to check out the oil feed chart today and i will get back to you.

the clogged screen, oil filter is clogged or the oil pump has failed.

Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
We are going to pull the motor to inspect the oil pump and system. Definately last Ranger I will own.
Thanks

Ok Let me know what happens.

I Like the rangers for the twin cylinder motor. they are good work vehicles. Yes they do come short in quality and engineering department compared to the imports..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff,
FYI-
We finally pulled the motor apart and the oil pump was fine BUT what we did find was that the oil sump or intake was completed clogged except for a little opening in the center of the screen maybe 3/16" dia. It was clogged with maybe burnt oil. With the case opened the engine on the inside has a slight misting of what looks like undercoating. It scratches off easy and I think that is what fell into the oil and clogged the screen. What caused the splatting- as you recall the water system was full of air and was not properly purged at the factory so the motor got hot many times cooking the oil as it splatted around in the case. It cooled down and flaked into the oil and clogged the screen. The oil pick up looks like a burnt marshmallow was left in there. We explained what we found to the new service manager at the local shop where we spent thousands of dollars and got nowhere and he is going to help this time and try to have polaris replace the motor. Hopefully it will all work out. Just thought I would let you know the outcome of our problem.
Thanks John

Thanks john

I agree that they should help you out. hope it turns out well for you