Coy
Coy, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  MMI Graduate, Yamaha Gold Technician, 7 years as lead A tech. Working on Arctic Cat certifications
17813009

ok i want to bypass cdi box or rev limiter on a raptor 50 can

Customer Question

ok i want to bypass cdi box or rev limiter on a raptor 50 can this be done with out buying a new after market cdi box
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Coy replied 5 years ago.
No you can' t that unit will only do 13mph. Even if there was an aftermarket box you can't buy anything for a 50cc right now due to the led ban. A lot of people who bought those were pissed they would only do 13. Sorry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WELL I DON' ACCEPT THIS ANSWER BECAUSE YOU CAN GO TO EBAY AND GET AN AFTER MARKET CDI BOX THAT WILL BOOST RPM'S UP AND YOU ARE TELLING ME IF I CUT OUT CDI BOX AND SPLICE WIRE'S TOGETHER IT WON'T RUN . THERE IS A WAY I KNOW THIS JUST NEED TO FIND SOME ONE WHO KNOWS
Expert:  Coy replied 5 years ago.
I do know. It has to have a cdi box to run. There might be one on ebay but honestly with the led ban they are not supposed to be selling any parts for 50cc's. You may be able to boost the rpms. But as far as top speed the things that are limiting that are in the carb. You can make it quicker but not faster. The box controls the rev limiter but not the top speed. I have tons of books from yamaha I get every year showing me what is done to these units.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can't you rejet carb and put a 80cc slider in it ( something like that) i herd things about these things getting up to 30 mph if this is the case and i can't do any thing to go faster like the cheap jap atv's how much am i looking at for a 80cc motor

Expert:  Coy replied 5 years ago.
its not as easy as a rejet. the chinese atvs will haul butt. the yamahas that year were 2007 compliant which put a speed restriction on the 50s. thats why they dont make 50s anymore. im not sure if there are 80 kits for the atvs like there are for the ttr. i know yamaha doesnt make one. im looking for the bulletin from yamaha about what they did to the carb.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it's a 50 motor on a 80 frame can i squese any thing in it
Expert:  Coy replied 5 years ago.
you can try. All i can tell you is your not the only one who was pissed when they found out the raptor 50 wont go any faster. you can thank all the parents who sue when their kids get hurt. its yamahas way to cover their behind
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they shouldn't have put the little shits on the bikes alone if they couldn't handle it
Expert:  Coy replied 5 years ago.
Well it is what it is. The government mad them limit them also, just like the gov. has a led ban for kids bikes right now also.