TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

the 1st gear light on my honda recon 2004 flashes 6 times and

the 1st gear light on my honda recon 2004 flashes 6 times and won't shift

HelloCustomer

The blinking light indicates a problem with the electric shift. The number of blinks indicates what component circuit is out of specification. In this case six blinks indicates a problem with the internal circuit of the ECU. Since the ECU is a sealed electrical part there is no way to repair it other than to replace it.

If this answer was helpful please click accept and leave positivefeedback. I do not get paid until you click accept.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the ECU - when I call the Honda Store what part do I ask for

Below is a link to a parts diagram for your atv. The ECU is the Electronic Control Unit for the electronic shift system. There is also an ECU for the ignition system. The parts diagram calls it a control unit, change and it is part #9 on the diagram. The part is under the front fender mounted to a cross brace on the frame with a rubber vibration insulator. The ignition control unit is mounted next to it so be sure you get the correct part.

http://216.37.204.206/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=171&B=51

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the parts diagram I should be looking at is the wire harness one correct? I think I can see the part - should it run around $200? Thanks
The parts listing calls it "control unit, change" with a price of $227.51.