Coy
Coy, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  MMI Graduate, Yamaha Gold Technician, 7 years as lead A tech. Working on Arctic Cat certifications
17813009

how do i set valve timing on a yamaha timber wolf 250

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Coy replied 7 years ago.
You are going to have to pull the gas tank. Then pull the spark plug so the motor is easy to roll over. There are two covers on the top of the head. Use a 5mm allen to remove them. There is also a cover on the side of the head with two 5mm allens remove it also. Then on the side of the motor there is a cover that says yamaha on it take it off. JUST the outer cover. Not the whole side cover. There will be a 17mm bolt underneath it. There will be a plug on that side you will use a flat head screwdriver to take off. With the 17mm roll the motor over untill you see a T mark on the rotor inside the sight on the side cover. There should be freeplay in both the intake and the exhaust valve rockers. using feeler gauges check between the rocker and the valve if they are loose or tight, then loosen the 10mm nut on the rocker and turn the tiny adjustment screw inside the 10mm nut. tighten it down and measure again. .02-.04 in for the intake and .04 to .06 in for the exhaust
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is it possible for the cam mark to line up and have the valves out of sync? because its a four stroke?

Expert:  Coy replied 7 years ago.
well the cam should have a pin on it that goes into a hole on the cam gear. The line on the cam gear should be in the same place as the pin. If that is lined up with the notch on the head then the valves should both be closed. With the cam chain off no they won't be out of sync. but if the piston was not at top dead center when you installed the cam chain then yes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does the spark fire every time the piston is TDC
Expert:  Coy replied 7 years ago.
It should fire constantly if you hook a spark tester to it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How do I know if the chain tenison is good. that should be my last Q

thanks

Expert:  Coy replied 7 years ago.
the cam chain tensioner adjusts itself. If it is all the way out then the chain is no good. Or if you roll the chain around off the sprocket and it kinks up anywhere then it's no good.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Coy replied 7 years ago.
What is the problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DO mI have to pay $9 per questions?
Expert:  Coy replied 7 years ago.
Well Depends on what you want to know. Technically I answered 4 the last time. What else do you need to know. But yes the site wants you to.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks no more questions
Expert:  Coy replied 7 years ago.
ok