...., ....
Experience:  ............

I own a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. Occasionally at light throttle

I own a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. Occasionally at light throttle the engine will start missing and loud knocking noise comes from the engine. It seems to diminish on hard acceleration and will disappear as quickly as it starts. Again it only is on light throttle and even sometimes at idle. Also the bike at times runs poorly at light throttle at any speed without the noise. I have replaced plugs, checked for vacuum leaks, and inspected the fuel for water and contaminants.
Submitted: 7 years ago via Automotix.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 7 years ago.
The carbs were last gone through when?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know, I bought it 2 years ago at 24000 miles. I don't know the history
Expert:  .... replied 7 years ago.
And the carbs have not been serviced since you bought it?

You at least need that, if not to eliminate it as an issue. Carbs on a frequently run bike usually need gone through twice a year, on a bike that sits they need it more. These bikes will run forever when serviced properly.

As far as the noise goes, you need a properly running bike to determine if it was a spark knock/detonation, or a loaded up cylinder, or can chain, etc..

I'd do a complete tune up & see where you are then. If you are still having issues we will work them through then.