MOT. MASTER TECH
MOT. MASTER TECH, MASTER TECH
Experience:  HONDA SUZUKI YAMAHA KAWAZAKI HARLEY DAVIDSON BOMBARDIE CERTFIED. M.V.T. (MOST VALUABLE TECH) 1997-99
13773799

2006 Arctic Cat 650 V2 Ignition Fuse and Display problem.

Customer Question

My troubles all started with my ignition fuse blowing. I would start the bike head on down the road to do my chores and the ignition fuse would blow after about 2-3 miles. I placed another ignition fuse in the holder and It would be fine for a while. Then it might blow after about an hour of use. Sometimes sooner. My Display started acting weird as well. When you first turn the key on the Speed/tach needle would go to the extreme right and the LCD display would come up normal. Then LCD resets and and goes blank only to start the whole cycle over again. The needle will stay in the same place but the LCD just keeps resetting.

I talked to the dealer mechanic and he said to check the wiring harness feeding the key switch/display. Apparently there is a problem with the wires rubbing and shorting out. I removed about two feet of tape only to find all the wires intact. I bought another used display off e-bay. The new/used display doesn't even turn on the LCD. The lights all work and the need
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  MOT. MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago.
hey dan.
it seems lke you have a bare rubbing wire somewere in the bike. the main fuse its very resistent against blowing and if it blows while riding as you dscribed it means that with vibration somewhere is grounding more than 30 amps. ( big short)
look at the simple polaces first, it wont be inside the raped harness, you will find it is a craked conector,loose blinker wire,any extrs accessories installed ,etc...

cheers

ps. it has to be caused by vibration or movement, because the fuse will instantly blow under any loads over 30 amps, so shake the blike till you find it