TechScooter
TechScooter, Technician
Experience:  Honda and Kawasaki Motorcycle, ATV, MUV, KLX, CR/CRF certified
16297587

How to tighten a chain on a 2002 yamaha raptor 660

Customer Question

How to tighten a chain on a 2002 yamaha raptor 660?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TechScooter replied 7 years ago.

You need to loosen the two nuts on the swing are that go over and the other under the carrier. Then bring the axle back, and retighten the nuts. Let me know if yo need more help. Thanks - TechScooter

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ya we loosend the ones over the swing arm but there is nothing under the carrier.. there is the two nuts on the side near the brake... we were told to loosen the two big nuts on the side of the carrior then tighten the ones on the top so we did that and it worked a little bet the ones on top wont tighten anymore and the chain is still loose! what do u think??

IM SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS IT WILL NOT GO OFF FOR SOME REASON. IT'S 2 BOLTS WITH LOCK NUTS ON THE TOP OF THE CARRIER, AND 2 NUTS ON THE SIDE WHERE THE BRAKE ROTOR IS. JUST LOOSEN THESE NUTS ON THE SIDE AND THE LOCK NUTS AND BOLTS ON THE TOP. SCREW THEM IN IT TIGHTENS OR LOOSEN THEM AND IT LOOSENS THE CHAIN. SORRY IF I WASNT CLEAR BEFORE. - TECHSCOOTER
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it does tighten and loosen it but the two bolts on top wont go any tighter and the chain is still very loose....

HOW OLD IS THE CHain hey its fixed. Much better!! How old is you chain? If you are as far as the bolts go its time for a new chain or atleast take a link out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ya thats what i was afraid of......alright thanks so much!

Just my 2 cents but on my yfz450 ive had good life from renthal products. thank you - TechScooter