....
...., ....
Experience:  ............
4419077

I have a 1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500 that randomly wont start

I have a 1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500 that randomly won't start and the battery has to be charged. I have taken it to the shop and they said they could find nothing wrong with it. It also clicks when the key is turned on, and I was told this is the fuel pump. Does anyone know why or what I should look for to figure this problem out?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for using JA, to get going on this I have a few questions.

When it doesn't start, is it seemingly a battery stamina issue, or a lack of fuel issue?
Have you pulled the plugs to check their condition?
Did the shop?
When was the last complete tune up, including carb service?
Is your jetting correct for your elevation?
How long ave you had the bike & how long has this been an issue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We bought the bike from a Yamaha Dealership Feb. 8th of this year. They did a tune up on the bike before we bought it. THis has been an issue since we first got the bike, two days after we brought it home we were stranded on the highway because it died and wouldn't start. It acts like the battery is low, turns over slowly but won't engage. After it has been on the charger for couple of hours it starts fine. We replaced the battery with a new one and are still haveing this problem. I am not sure about the jetting, I assume it is set correctly.
Thanks.
Expert:  .... replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a multi meter at the house?

I think that you have a charging system problem that we need to check out.

Also when you changed the battery did you check the cables for tight, at both ends?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the battery side of the cables but not the other end.
Is a multi meter a voltage tester? I have one of those.
Expert:  .... replied 7 years ago.
I would make sure especially the ground end of the - cable is tight, & the positive on the starter solenoid/switch & again at the starter.

A multi meter has a few more functions than a voltage tester, as we also need to check resistance or ohms. A voltage tester will assist us up to a point thought.

After you check the cables, if you find nothing loose, I need you to hook the meter to the battery terminals and we need voltage readings with:

Key off: you need 12+ vdc
Key on: should stay right at 12vdc
Cranking: you need 9.5+ vdc to start the bike
Idling: here you want to see 12+ vdc & going up
About 2500 rpm: here you want about 14vdc, & holding

If voltage ever decreases (except when returning to idle)there is a battery or charging component issue. Let me know what you find.