Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

I have a 1993 Honda Fourtrax 300. I dont seem to be getting

I have a 1993 Honda Fourtrax 300. I don't seem to be getting power to the coil. I checked the fuses in the battery box and both fuses were good. I am getting power to the starter and the bike is turning over, but no fire to the spark plug. I checked the coil itself and have continuity. Is there another fuse, or something else that could be causing this problem? The bike was running fine. My son turned the bike off and a few minutes later we got on the bikes to leave, and it would not start. Help!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
hello and welcome
were you checking for power while the unit was cranking over? with the ignition switch on, you wont have a source voltage to the coil.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Eric we checked power to the CDI while the bike was cranking over. Should we have power there?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
there is a black with white tracer wire that should show battery voltage to the ignition control unit. and that wire gets its power fron the engine shut off switch. and the power for that wire is a black wire from the ignition switch. are you getting power at any of these?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Eric, we are getting power to the black wire with the white tracer at the CDI. We also checked the black wire at the run/off switch that goes to the ignition switch. We showed power with the run/off switch in "run" and no power with the run/off switch in "off". The switch seems to be good.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
sounds like the pulser coil could have gone bad. if you can access a multimeter. check the blue/yellow tracer wire comeing out of the crankcase. test between it and ground. crank the motor over and while cranking you should be able to get .7 volts alternating current. let me know what you get, thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Eric, We are showing 0 to .2 volts AC on the blue/yellow tracer wire coming out of the crankcase. And I really think the .2 is from us moving the multimeter. So it looks like it may be the pulser coil. If that is the case, is the pulser coil in the crankcase? P.S. we did check while turning the motor over.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
yep i think so to. this is a very common fault. as long as you are testing alternating current, and testing with the connector disconnected, then the pulser is definately faulty.
i hope this was helpful for you. if you would like to discuss further please let me know. thank you for your question.
Eric, Technician
Experience: MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Eric, the pulser coil is in the crankcase?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
yep, you can access it by removeing that left side cover. in preparation to repair this you may need to get a gasket, and i also believe the stator and pulser come as a single part number on that as well.