Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.

My 1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350,4WD cranks perfect but no spark

Customer Question

My 1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350,4WD cranks perfect but no spark ..New coil/spark plug wire,Battery,ck fuses and wires all looks gud. Engine#4kd-080169-Model#,yfb25fhgy( what do you suggest?)
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
hello and welcome
have you tested or checked the pulser/pickup coil? thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have a tester; i may be able to borrow one if I knew which type to use and how to hook it up the correct way to perform the test,I had the L side cover off,where I believe the pick up is on the front lower side of the crank case in front of the stator
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
you are correct that is the pickup coil. with a tester test between the white/red tracer wire and the white/green tracer wire for resistance. spec is 459-561ohms. then check between one of those wires and ground, there should be absolutely no continuity at all.
then you can check its alternating current while cranking, useing the same two wires. crank the motor over. you should be able to acheive about .6-.7volts ac. if any of those test fail then you will need to replace the pickup coil.
it seems that this is the only thing that has not been replaced on the ignition system, as well as this is a very common faulting part.
i hope this is good info, and i will be glad to discuss anything further. thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told ;In order to buy the pick up coil you need buy the stator assembly too,From what I saw the stator and coil are sepparate from one another.Can you buy the pick up coil without buying the stator?I'm not sure how they are connected.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
<p>unfortunately, what you have found is true. that buying new the ony way you can get that coil is to buy the stator/coil set. they do this because they both run through the same harnessing. </p><p>the best case scenerio is to possibly find a used one that the stator has gone bad so that you could salvage the pickup coil from it. maybe from ebay or something similar. but unfortunately i dont know of any sure way of getting that coil seperate. sorry i wish i had a better solution for this part for you.</p>
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
hello i was just catching up on a few questions and wanted to know if you were able to get your big bear running? i hope i was of some assistance. but if not and there is anything i can do please let me know. thank you
Eric, Technician
Experience: MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Eric, My appology for an untimely response,It appears the wire from the stator has sepparated from the pick up coil. My thought and intent was to silver solder it back together before I had to spend more money on this projectn which is slowly becoming a headache.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
thats ok. i appreciate the accept. i sent some followups to make i wasnt leaving ya hangin. good luck with your repair. thank you