Big Wanda
Big Wanda, Electrical Diagnostics Instructor
Experience:  16 years in the Industry Electical Specialist

How do you rewire the headlights on a 2008 fatbob to come on together

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  MOT. MASTER TECH replied 7 years ago.
hey steve.

its very simple , all you have to do is splice them toghether in parallel with the original ones.
hot lead with hot lead, and ground with ground

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know that, but I want them both to come on low beam and high beam.Poeple say the wires will burn out
hey steve.
the gauge of the wire is proportional to the amperage that the bulb will draw.
yes you can connect the low and high beem on the light toghether and it will not overload the wires , the question is if the bulb housing on a dual filament bulb is not made for bolth filaments to be on at the same time. but the wire will be fine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would you give me a step by step way of doing it as still very confused, sorry to be a pain

Expert:  Big Wanda replied 7 years ago.

I disagree with the master tech. The big problem you will run into trying to run those lights together is that the grounds to the bulbs will not be enough to run both at the same time. I have had to replace the headlamp bucket harness due to this very issue. If you try and splice the wires together they will burn up the plugs that attach to the lamp. To run the head lamps like you want you will have to dedicate a 16 gauge or larger ground wire to both lamps as well as run a switching relay to proven any back feeding or your high beam indicator bulb will be slightly illuminated when not in the high beam position. If you would care for more info in regards XXXXX XXXXX how to do this, let me know and I will walk you through it, with part descriptions and step by step what goes where.

I want to make sure you are serious before I type all that info out for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Big Wanda, you sound just the guy for the job. I am serious about doing it but i am not to good with electrical things and thats why I need your help. Thanks alot , Steve .

Expert:  Big Wanda replied 7 years ago.

Okay, first things first. Do you have a DVOM or Multimeter as some call them? If not, you may want to see if you can borrow one. Let me know and we'll get this started. I will get the electrical diagnostic book for your bike and start laying out how to do this so I have to type as little as possible. :) I am going to be online from about 5pm AZ time to about 11pm. incase you want to comm back and forth.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no problem I can borrow a multimeter from the maintance department at work .