Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

ihi, i have a 2005 kawasaki brute force 650 and it will not

ihi, i have a 2005 kawasaki brute force 650 and it will not go into 4x4. i replaced the control unit and tested the front dif. actuator and still nothing. the dash icon will not light up and the actuator doesnt make noise. fuses are good and i ohmed all the wires and they r not broken...any ideas
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 5 years ago.
Good day,

is there power to the controller
on the red/white wire? Should be.
If so check if the green
controller wire is grounded or not.
If it is grounded by the shift switch it stays in 2WD I believe.
Have you checked the 2wd/4wd switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the box has power to it and i have done all of the tests listed in the kawi service manual half a dozen times

after some more investigating i found that the 4x4 switch is ok and there is a ground on the green but there is also a weak ground on the power supply to the front dif. also, nothing happpens (as in none of the ohm readings from wire to wire change) at the front dif plug when i change fron 2x to 4x on the handlebar switch. shouldnt at least on of these wires read different when the 4x switch is flipped? is there anything that is common on these. btw...that service manual sux!

Expert:  Wayne S. replied 5 years ago.

When you flip the 2x/4x switch on
the handlebar it grounds the green
wire for 2x and just opens the
circuit for 4x. Basically
if you disconnect the switch you
should be in 4x if all conditions
are met.

These have a forward/reverse sensor
and speed sensor which should
have tests listed in the manual.

Under the seat is the controller
connector which should get power
from the ignition switch on
a brown wire.

The brake actuator should
be checked also as in the manual.
Check any connectors involved
for poor connections.

At this point all you can do
is recheck wiring and connections
if you believe the components
have passed the tests.

Check the main grounds to the frame
and battery as these can get corroded.

If I find out anything more I will let
you know.

Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks alot! i will check these and like u said....let me know if u think of something else