Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

how do you change a snowmobile track it an yamaha sxr600 2001

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Ben Around replied 7 years ago.

Are you ready,Customer

This is an abbreviated form:

Suspend rear of sled in air, in shop I use "Cherry Picker"

1. Loosen track completely with rear adjusters

2. Remove skid assembly (Generally 4 bolts, 2 on each side)

3. Once skid assembly removed, need to pull exhaust pipe off to be able to get into chaincase.

4. Remove driven clutch on left side so you can get to the lower speedo drive/bearing holder. Remove bearing holder

5. Remove chaincase cover, oil will drain out have oil pan / shop rags ready, In chaincase, the upper and lower gear with chain needs removal. Will have to loosen chain adjuster first.

6. Need to remove inner chaincase from bulkhead, generally 3-5 nuts/bolts around perimeter. Process here is very important. Once removed, and the other sides bearing carrier is loose, need to slide driveshaft over to the right and drop left side out of hole, then wrestle it over to the left and should drop out.

Due to the fact I work on all sleds, this is the "Generic" version of removal. Along the way there may be some differences in different manufactures. Approximate time, 4 hours from start to finish. Don't forget you WD40

Inspect skid assembly carefully, replace hifax if needed, if shocks can be rebuilt, now would be the time.

Let me know if this helps