Ski Doctor
Ski Doctor, powersports repair specialist
Experience:  over a decade of double time experience, excellent electrical and mechanical diagnosis capabilties
8702253

I HAVE A 1999 ARCTIC CAT 500 ATV..FINE...THROTTLE

I HAVE A 1999 ARCTIC CAT 500 ATV. IT STARTS AND SOUNDS JUST FINE. BUT WHEN YOU GET HEAVY ON THE THROTTLE IT HAS A MISS. I HAVE CLEANED THE CARB., CHANGED THE SPARK PLUG AND PULLED THE PLUG OUT OF THE MUFFLER. I BELIEVE THE PROBLEM IS ELECTRIC BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Ski Doctor replied 8 years ago.

i am sure you have checked, but be sure the air filter is clean and not soaked in oil. next is to check your fuel filter and make sure there is not any debris clogging it, as a bad fuel filter is this exact same symptom. also check the battery terminals to ensure they are tight and clean. let us know if these check out okay. also inspect the spark plug cap where it attatches to the ignition coil wire, and you may need to trim the coil wire slightly to ensure the cap has a good connection with the wire inside. also check the plug cap with an ohm meter, which should measure about 4k ohms.