james1
james1, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years in the industry. service manager and shop owner.
12610222

1986 Honda: suddenly quits while travelling..It always starts

My 1986 Honda 350 fourtrax suddenly quits while travelling. It always starts up right away. The problem is getting worse. It still starts up right away, but quits as soon as I put it in gear. This may happen up to 10 times, and after I rev it up a bit it runs OK for a day or two
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  james1 replied 5 years ago.
that atv has an electric fuel pump that may be going out. it also has a fuel pump relay. locate the fuel filter and when it dies check to see if its got fuel in it, and listen to see if the fuel pump is cycling.
james1, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 20+ years in the industry. service manager and shop owner.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My Honda ATV is located in a remote area and a mechanic is not readily available. Would you recommend that I buy a new fuel pump? Can I replace it myself and does a new pump come with a fuel relay?
Expert:  james1 replied 5 years ago.
i wouldnt buy a new one until you make sure the old one is your problem.yes you can replace it yourself its very accessible. no a new pump does not come with the relay.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As you recommended, I will check the fuel filter the next time the engine dies. If it has fuel in it, then what? If it doesen't have fuel in it, what next? If I can hear the fuel pump cycling, then what? Thanks.
Expert:  james1 replied 5 years ago.
if it has fuel in it then your problem is not likely fuel related and well have to diagnose elswhere. if it does not have fuel in it then most likely its the pump or the relay. I normally replace them as a set. if the pump is cycling and theres no fuel present in the filter or carburetor then you may have a blockage in the tank, rust, debris, etc. you could also try running a remote fuel source like from a small tank straight to the carburetor and see if it still dies. that would rule out alot.
james1, Motorcycle Mechanic